killing my battery

loco boater

Cadet
I have a 2000 Sea Ray EC215 with a 5.0 mercruiser and a alpha 1 genII outdrive. After a weekend of boating and its time to store her for the week I go through my check list including placing the battery switch to off. The only thing I see still drawing amps is my stereo memory and clock. I have two batteries, one for starting and the other for accessories when the battery switch is on. After a week the acc. battery is drawn down. This past month of no use, the battery is completelly drained. The battery is only a year old. Any ideas on where and how to check what else is drawing juice?

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: killing my battery

do you also have an amp?
could it still be energized?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

yes there is an amp, slipped my mind. That could be it. Thanks

For what it is worth I disconnect the cables from both of my bateries as part of my normal after run clean-up. I never have to worry about some small drain somewhere that the meters don't detect.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Maybe the battery switch isn't wired correctly? turning it off should obviate disconnecting the batteries (talking about a big red battery switch)

Also your bilge pump should be wired directly to battery and not turned off by the switch--possible electrical leak there?

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

With the exception of the bilge pump, EVERYTHING should be connected AFTER the battery switch. Period

In the real world, people like their radios to remember their pre-set station selections, thus the radio often has a CONSTANT 12 V source direct to the battery. This is the line that often begins to kill batteries.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

With the exception of the bilge pump, EVERYTHING should be connected AFTER the battery switch. Period

In the real world, people like their radios to remember their pre-set station selections, thus the radio often has a CONSTANT 12 V source direct to the battery. This is the line that often begins to kill batteries.

Excellent point- I have about the same setup as you.
(radio memory) except no battery switch so i installed a on board charger with a timer on my boat.
It comes on 1hr every night to keep the batteries maintained :cool: