Catching PINFISH

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I hope this doesn't get moved to another category say.... Boats or something, but since Pinfish are such great Grouper baits..... How do you guys and gals secure live Pinfish other than the obvious "Baitshop"? Nets, traps..... lights...do you fish at night for them, daytime....?<br /><br />What about water temperature and depths? <br /><br />Its not like anybody is actually using this forum anyway... so give up the secrets!

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: Catching PINFISH

I gotta steal em' outta other peoples live bait pens cause i'm a lousey fisherman..... (I'm kidding about the stealing part of that statement..!) :p <br /><br />I have caught a few in the cast net while throwing the net for mullet or whatever... You might do well to chum em' up and net em'.. I dunno.. <br /><br />I've heard of folks using traps, but I dunno nuttin about it....<br /><br /> From what I understand (which ain't much, cause i'm a lousey fisherman :D ), I believe the prefered hook & line method is tiny bits of shrimp on tiny #8 hooks weighted with a small spit shot, fished on the edges of grass flats..<br /><br />Maybe we can both make use of this.. http://www.islamoradasportfishing.com/howto2.htm <br /><br />Besides.. Why does a Bonito fisherman like me need to waste good pinfish when boneys will eat just about anything ya throw at em?...

agitator

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A Sabiki rig will outfish most anything else for pinfish. Get a couple at Walmart and fish the grass edges. If they are there you will load the baitwell in no time flat.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Agitator.. Do you tip the hooks on the sabikis with anything, like shrimp? Or just run em' straight outta the package?<br /><br />What size do you use?

Stumpknocker

So, Snapperbait.... YOU are the guy unloading my traps! I thought it might be.... lol!<br /><br />I'm watchin u!<br /><br />agitator I have lots of Sabiki rigs and they do work great. Now if I just knew how to find them critters.....

agitator

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sabiki rigs work just as well bare as they do when shrimp tipped. Like Gil009 says, the trick is finding where they are. They move offshore in the winter where I fish but are plentiful and easy to find in the summer. Can usually catch a days supply in just a short time as multiple hookups are usually made.

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I fished the Key's we whould drop a trap baited with leftover chum on the way back in from fishing. Picked it up on the way out the next day, most of the time it had at least a couple, often it held more than we could use.<br /><br />When we go back we will also use the sabiki rigs as a back up.

Stumpknocker

I have heard from guys up in the panhandle that they use cans of dogfood in their traps. Anybody try this method?

Stumpknocker

I have decided to try some very aggressive techniques on baitfish. Nothing explosive, mind you. If this works, I'll share it with you guys. I'm waiting on the water to be a tad warmer and the seas a little less lumpy around here. My boat is not exactly the biggest minnow in the bay. Top Secret Operation BadFish is in effect as of now. hee hee hee..... :D ;)

Stumpknocker

Ha ha.... nice try. No, it doesn't involve dry ice either. Keep guessing my friend.

Stumpknocker

Sorry Lido, but the pinfish will usually purge the first hour or so in the livewell requiring at least a partial water change. They are bottom dwelling scum sucking scavengers much like lawyers. Change the water and be safe. Keep them fish alive for more glorious ends.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

uh-oh... Gil's talking to himself again...
15.gif
<br /><br />And who's Lido? Yer dog maybe? :confused: <br /><br />Yea.. I'm kinda worried bout Gil.. :p :D

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Don't worry Lido... I hear snapper talks to himself too...<br />
19.gif

Stumpknocker

Lots of folks can see Lido's posts. Not everyone can however. Depends upon your ISP. One of the problems with Iboats servers. I shall help 10-5 the info for you non seeing persons.<br /><br />He was wondering why his Pinfish would croak in the livewell on the trip out to the "shelf". During the 2 hour trip the baitfish need more water than he was giving them. No magic pills or bubble stones could do the job that a fresh exchange of water would do. He will report back after the next trip and let us know how this works for the crew. The boat is the "Reeper" out of Port Orange.

Stumpknocker

Well it worked. Nobody has a right to have this much bait fish. Nobody. PETA will be after me. They will probably put a limit on baitfish now. Great.

Stumpknocker

Sure.... I'll flash freeze em and send them out to Mini-me right away. :D

Stumpknocker

Actually, Pinfish are scavengers. They will eat anything. Except carrots. Nobody knows why they are repelled by raw carrots. Study continues....