Carpeting

theoldwizard1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I don't know who ever thought that carpeting on the floor was a good idea (unless of course it can be easily removed) !

So even though it is only a 17' DC Starcraft, the carpet is looking bad from stains from leaves etc. (which is interesting, because 6 month of the year it is stored inside and the other 6 months it has a cover on it :suspicious: ) So what do you guys use to clean the carpeting on your boat ?

roffey

Commander
I used a car wash brush with laundry soap and water followed by the pressure washer... (older boat with glued in carpets)

My current boat has snap in carpets, remove and wash on my back deck with a tasty beverage of choice....

roffey

Commander
... and I agree with you. How do carpets get dirty. My boat is stored indoors for the winter and covered when not used in the summer. I don't ware shoes in the boat and am generally very careful about passengers with dirty feet. There is always water near by to wash offending hands and feet. :confused:

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
The best way to clean boat carpet is to rip it up and replace it with vynil :) after replacing every single piece of wood in my old boat ( all covered in thick carpet from the factory) I rinse my boat with a very light coat of dish soap and water and hit it with a garden hose 5 minutes tops and its like new again.

That being said a pressure washer was the only thing that brought my old carpet any brightness 15 years in. We were unsure if it had more Salmon blood stains or beer stains.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I had carpet in most of my boats and never had any problems keeping it clean and stain free. But the boats were either garaged or on the water. So there was no out in the weather situations for it to get dirty. I did vacuum the carpet or washed it with a garden hose and it always looked great even after years of usage. JMHO