Carburetor tuning on muffs

Toshi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK. I removed the Welch plug.
It’s hard to see in the picture, but two tiny holes are clean and I can see through them.

You need to remove the Welch plug as well.
There are tiny little holes under the one for the ideal needle that can get plugged up.

Attachments

• 3C5F53FF-ACB6-4947-9BE8-1ED7C188C6AD.jpeg
    3C5F53FF-ACB6-4947-9BE8-1ED7C188C6AD.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6

Toshi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Should I remove lead balls also because I don’t see anything wrong with components and holes so far on this carb?

tphoyt

Lieutenant Junior Grade
In my opinion there is no need to remove the lead shot. They just block off the milling ports.
Others may say differently.

Toshi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
On YouTube, a guy was putting red loctite here because he said he saw a leak.

Should I go ahead and put red loftier here?
If there was a leak, could it solve my problem?

I am so desperate to fix this problem.

Attachments

• 2DD3D65A-9EB8-4942-8B71-D409BACCF560.jpeg
    2DD3D65A-9EB8-4942-8B71-D409BACCF560.jpeg
    463.3 KB · Views: 6

Toshi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
For middle carb, is it correct not to have Welch plug here? I can’t find any info so far.

I believe I should see one Welch plug in this view and I am starting to have a doubt if previous owner or boat shop put the plug in the wrong position.

Attachments

• 048E5A9C-3003-4A9E-B84B-EB5E3BD02241.jpeg
    048E5A9C-3003-4A9E-B84B-EB5E3BD02241.jpeg
    537 KB · Views: 5

Toshi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just to make sure the path is really clean. I removed the lead check ball and sprayed carb cleaner.

In my opinion there is no need to remove the lead shot. They just block off the milling ports.
Others may say differently.

Toshi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I put red loctite just for my insurance…

On YouTube, a guy was putting red loctite here because he said he saw a leak.

Should I go ahead and put red loftier here?
If there was a leak, could it solve my problem?

I am so desperate to fix this problem.

tphoyt

Lieutenant Junior Grade
So how did you make out?
Did you get new lead In your rebuild kit?
I never do. A buddy gave me a bunch of lead shot from shotgun shells years ago and I can usually find one that will fit if needed. I rarely take them out unless that are lose or someone mangled it trying to get it out.
Anyway let us know how things are going.
Best

Toshi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
tphoyt,

I assembled the middle carb back.
I will be checking all fuel lines as well as vacuum line again and turn on the engine tomorrow and I’ll see if middle carb gets fuel. Wish me luck !

Putting a new lead ball was not a problem for me. My buddy gave me some.

QUOTE="tphoyt, post: 5814322, member: 217100"]
So how did you make out?
Did you get new lead In your rebuild kit?
I never do. A buddy gave me a bunch of lead shot from shotgun shells years ago and I can usually find one that will fit if needed. I rarely take them out unless that are lose or someone mangled it trying to get it out.
Anyway let us know how things are going.
Best
[/QUOTE]

ct1762@gmail.com

Master Chief Petty Officer
when you sprayed fuel mix into #2 it all sounded normal to me aka dying when it took in fuel after a brief pause. If it was starving for fuel, youd get a sudden and hard "kick" into higher rpm. you can swap the top #1 carb for #2 just as a test to see if it follows that cyl. obviously the cam roller will not be usable but will run fine at idle to test. i have had issues with carbs not working correctly, and have had to swap in a used good one. not common, but can happen after 35 years of use/abuse.

Toshi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ct1762,
Thank you very much for advice.
I switched the middle carb with the top carb.

When I spray the fuel mix to the middle carb now placed at top, the engine died. I didn’t see a sudden and hard kick to higher rpm.
(I had the idle screw all the way in for this trial on the “middle” carb at top)
Based on your comment, I think middle carb is not starving for fuel.

By the way, whichever direction I turn the the idle screw of the middle carb, I didn’t observe rpm change.

Is it ok to run the engine with the idle screw all the way in for the middle carb? Or should I screw like 2 turns out or so?

This weekend, I am planning to put my boat on water and try to tune the middle carb again, but I am assuming rpm will not change with idle screw adjustment on the middle carb…

Thank you.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Examine the Crankcase Seam, any signs of Fuel/Oil leaking? Any blowback from the Carb when engine is running?
What are the Compression Numbers, Again? If all 3 are almost Identical, I would try a different Gauge.
Something is not adding up.

saltchuckmatt

Commander
ct1762,
Thank you very much for advice.
I switched the middle carb with the top carb.

When I spray the fuel mix to the middle carb now placed at top, the engine died. I didn’t see a sudden and hard kick to higher rpm.
(I had the idle screw all the way in for this trial on the “middle” carb at top)
Based on your comment, I think middle carb is not starving for fuel.

By the way, whichever direction I turn the the idle screw of the middle carb, I didn’t observe rpm change.

Is it ok to run the engine with the idle screw all the way in for the middle carb? Or should I screw like 2 turns out or so?

This weekend, I am planning to put my boat on water and try to tune the middle carb again, but I am assuming rpm will not change with idle screw adjustment on the middle carb…

Thank you.
Might want to start all over with idle screws. Start 1 1/2 out from lightly seated. Then adjust each one. Then get it on the water and bomb around a little if it's running ok. Then dial in the carbs again for low idle fuel mixture.

Toshi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
jimmbo,
Thank you very much for the comment.

I don’t see any visual sign of fuel/oil leaking from the crankcase seam. I will check it with soap water to make sure.
No blowback from the carbs.

I will check compression again.

Maybe the fuel pressure from the disabled VRO pump is not strong enough?

Toshi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you,
I will start over the adjustment. This time, I will start from the middle carb.

Might want to start all over with idle screws. Start 1 1/2 out from lightly seated. Then adjust each one. Then get it on the water and bomb around a little if it's running ok. Then dial in the carbs again for low idle fuel mixture.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Suspecting a bad fuel pump ??-----Then get an assistant to operate the manual pump during the test run.

ct1762@gmail.com

Master Chief Petty Officer
if you run the low speed needle all the way in and no change, i suspect that middle cylinder is shot. its not fuel, its not spark so therefore the skirt on piston is most likely toast. #2 cyl on these is commonly the 1st to go.