Carburetor issue?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No----5/16" is plenty on those ultra simple magnetos.----And No,---- 70 PSI is ok for one of those to run just fine.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
good news on the compression. Points have to be squeaky clean — use lacquer thinner or acetone and a matchbook cover to dress them. Gap is .020 when the rub arm contacts the highest point on the cam.

Use an adjustable open air spark tester to measure spark. If you have no spark and the points are set properly, there is a multimeter test to check continuity from the spark in the plug boot, through to the mag plate (something like 5ohms resistance, I think, with the tester set for 1K.)

So I checked my top cyl for spark with adj open air tester and get a nice blue 5/16 jump.
The bottom however is very sporatic , maybe every other to every third rope pull
I get a spark and it won't jump more than 3/16

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Clean and reset the points for the bottom cylinder (likely suspect). It's also possible that the spring connector in the boot may not be in solid contact with the plug wire core. Might want to disassemble and reset the spike through the wire. (Use of WD-40 helps in reassembly.)

Question about the low and high speed needle valve adj handle locations at initial settings.
So I preset my low speed 1 1/2 turns out from seat and high speed 1 turn out from seat.
At these settings should I be installing the handles pointing at #1 on their respective lean/rich scales?
The only thing I've seen on this was a video where the guy preset valves and just installed the handles
in the middle of the scales between 3 and 4.Just don't know if that's correct.Don't see it in my manual.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The initiall setting are provided.-----With those setting the motor should start and keep running.-----Up to you to adjust them ( they must be ) with the motor on a boat.----After it is running super smooth , you set the knobs where you like them.

My motor runs terrific, thanks for all the help.

I have a question regarding another motor. Would a 1981 Johnson J4BRCIC 4hp
have significantly more power over a 2003 Mercury 2.5 hp ? I ask this only because I have
read that from 1983 on HP rating was done at prop shaft and before then it was at flywheel.
I want a little bit more power than my 2.5 Mercury but have a 4hp spec limit on my little boat.
The 1960 3hp you guys helped me get running doesn't really seem to push my
boat any faster than my 2003 2.5. I don't want to buy the 4hp if I'm not gonna see much
increase in speed.

Last edited: