Carbs not causing my stalling

Well, I just finished cleaning my carbs.... and they were pretty clean to start with.

however in my efforts I did discover how the manual choke button works! I had it set so it was flsuh with the engine cover body.... it could go either in or out from there. Out is full choke, where it was is half choke I suppose and then in would be full open.

Could it have been choking out once it got a little warm? Should I have had it all the way open (pushed in all the way)?

Everything else looks good, except for the oil i now see dripping from the prop shaft... gotta find a new seal now.

This is an evinrude 100hp 1970 mdl 100193 outboard

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Carbs not causing my stalling

all the way in is off, half out, it is operated by the controller button or pushing in on the key. full out is manual choke. flush is the normal position.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

have you check compression, and spark on all 4. what are your idle rpms. should be 650-750 at idle in gear, in the water. if not it will stall when put into gear.

I am sorry but I completely screwed up my explaination....

It only stall s at higher rpms.... I can drive for a few minutes at say half throttle and then it will sputter and then die.

a few seconds later it will start back up if I try

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Sounds like a possible fuel starvation issue. Check the fuel tubing and joints for any air leaks, pickup screen clogged, etc. Fuel pump may need replacing or repair. A shop manual (OEM) would help provide an organized trouble shooting list.

Theoutdoorsman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had the exact same problem with my 1979 Evinrude 140 as you are describing here. I could run all day long at half throttle, but it would fall flat within a few seconds at WOT. I rebuilt my fuel pump and all is well. Check the obvious things before doing this. But I suspect you may have the same problem. First things first....... Check your compression and spark as mentioned above. If these check out fine, inspect your fuel delivery for leaks and kinked lines, correcting anything you might find. It's possible you may have a sticky check valve (anti-siphon valve) at the fuel tank pickup tube. You may consider replacing it, or removing it completely, if the fuel cell is located below the motor.... which most are. Here's a link to aid in rebuilding the fuel pump, should you need it. If yours is the same, please let me know. BTW....... your model number is indicative of a 1971 100hp. Good luck!!!!............... ALAN

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=240864