carb rebuild?

boatman37

Lieutenant
ordered a carb kit and cleaned and reassembled the carb. Went down today and put the carb on and had other issues but the carb sounded great. Will start a new thread about the new issue but the jist of it is my throttle lever is very hard to move out of or into neutral now when the engine is not running. seems fine when it is running though

boatman37

Lieutenant
Went down today for a marina party. Prior to the carb rebuild the engine would probably crank 4 or 5 seconds before starting. Today it fired up almost instantly. We didn't take it out today cause of the party but it sounded good.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
What kind of water separating filter are you using and are you using E-10 gas? I redid my 30 old Quadrajet last summer and did not see anything like that inside and I've been using E-10 for years. Suggestion:
see if you can get a hold of a fuel testing kit if you are using e-10 and measure the ethanol content, see if its above 10%...
and, consider switching to the more expensive but better Racor filters with the metal bowl for inboards. They are expensive, the bowl can be a pain to change but they are probably the best fuel filter on the market.

PS have the original Perko gas fill on my boat and you can easily buy new caps for this style, I change them about every 2-3 seasons. Never had water in the tank in this boat and the tank and carb are original.

boatman37

Lieutenant
I have rebuilt 50-60 carbs and had never seen one this bad. I always use Star Tron when I fuel up but I bought this boat last August and have no idea if they ever used any stabilizer. I have the regular separator that looks like the oil filter. It's pretty tight in my engine bay so not sure there is much room for a Racor. I buy my fuel at the same station I fill up our vehicles at. It's a high volume station so not likely it sits around in their tanks much.
Yeah the local shop had a new cap for $57 but mine only needed the o-ring. I bought 3 of them for about $10 so that should be fixed now.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The Racor is longer. I had one but I never had any issue with water or crud in the gas so I went back to the standard Sierra or BRP filters for my OMC. Here's what my gas looks like each year....

Attachments

• photo294669.jpg
    photo294669.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 0

boatman37

Lieutenant
Finally took the boat out today for the first time since rebuilding the carb. Only went a mile or so upriver to another marina then back. All no wake zone but it ran fine. Idles nice. Hopefully next weekend we can get it out on the Ohio and get the revs up and see how it does