Carb Kit time?

OMCfan

Seaman
Greetings fellows,

I picked up a 1952 JW-10 at a garage sale and for the most part it runs well. As of late however, it acts like it is bogging down then recovers and runs fine for awhile and then starts bogging down and sometimes stalls. It usually starts right back up on the first pull, however, I am a duck hunter and a stall with a cold north wind blowing is not what I need.

I have run a fair amount of carb cleaner through it and I am thinking that it may have loosened up some crud in the carb and that is potentially what the issue is. But I value the input of others before throwing parts at a problem.

Thanks for your help.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Not an expert here, but sounds like maybe a carb kit is in order.
​But, I might troubleshoot it a little more first..

​Does it run right and no longer bog down if you squeeze the primer bulb in the fuel line when it's acting up?

​EDIT: 1952.. That have built in fuel tank and not external therefore no primer bulb? lol
​Shows my "not an expert".. lol

​Anyway, basically I'd check to be sure fuel is getting to the carb reliably, and then if so, do a rebuild with a kit..
​If that makes sense...

For what it's worth.. lol

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Have a look through the inspection hole in the flywheel.-----Coils will be new or it needs a set.------If you want reliability that would be step # 1-----Does spark jump a gap of 1/4" now ?----Installed a new impeller in cooling system ?

OMCfan

Seaman
Hello fellows, All good advice. I will check the tank cap vent holes...never thought of that. I did take the carb off and apart. The float varnish was old and flaking off. The inner seals were bad and the packing washers were deteriorated. New kit on the way. As far as the coils go, they are newer coils and it fires up very well. Flow from the gas tank is very good and tank was very clean. The last I ran it in my test tank the throttle responsiveness was very sluggish at times when it was acting like it was starving for fuel it would eventually "catch up".

OMCfan

Seaman
Also, yes... I installed a new water pump kit and it pump water very well.