Carb flooding 3.0 merc ?

mudmagnet63

Petty Officer 1st Class
1989 Merc 3.0 130 hp I rebuilt the carb myself the first time. No luck!! I sent it to a shop they rebuilt the carb, replaced the cam and distributor, points, plugs cap, wires, cam had flat lobes and gears on the dist were torn up. When I put her on the water still some flooding so I sent her back to the shop they readjusted the carb and she ran great for the first 1/2 tank of gas. I started smelling gas @ startup then she started stumbling on throttle up. The shop that did the repairs is very reputable they said bring it back if it started again. Is tere a possability the Carb is beyond repair or am I missing something.

Thanks

Mud

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Carb flooding 3.0 merc ?

Probably not. They just screwed up rebuilding the carb.

A carburetor usually overflows or floods because the float level is set wrong. It's also possible that they left something out etc..... (your fuel pump is ok? not dumping fuel into the carb via the clear hose?)

If you decide you've had enough and they offer your money back, you might try Flying Fish. http://www.marinecarburetor.com/index.html

Regards,

Rick

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Is tere a possability the Carb is beyond repair

Yep.

Some carbs are just too gummed up to be successfully repaired. Since they offered to take care of it, then let them evaluate it and see. If they are as reputable as you say, they will take care of it. I suspect they will simply swap it out for a different carb.

mudmagnet63

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the quick replies, I'm going to take her out this afternoon and do some more investigating, I thought I might check the choke before I take it back in again

Thanks

Mud

Bondo Again

Seaman

The shop that did the repairs is very reputable they said bring it back if it started again. Is tere a possability the Carb is beyond repair or am I missing something

Ayuh,......

There's Always the possibility that a Carb is Junk.....
Most DIY Carb Rebuilds will run a 50/ 50 chance that it Won't Work.....
But,...
It sounds like you've found an upstanding company, who's willing to work with you on it,....
And,....
A company like that probably Knows which carbs to rebuild,+ Which to Trash......

chiefalen

Captain

i took apart a friends carb and there was a pinhole in the float it was filled with gas and thus useless.put a new old one in there no problem 3-4 years now.could be float sticking needs to be aligned properly.good luck

mudmagnet63

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I took her out fishing tonight, trolled for 3 - 4 hrs no flooding, no stumbling, NADA purred like a kitten ???? even worse only caught 2 drum

Mud