carb. and shift lever

atcra

Seaman
I am getting the boat ready for this coming boating year and just took boat to the lake. Boat ran out just fine but noticed that when I come off the gas into neutral the motor jumps up to about 2 grand. I open the engine compartment (sorry, Volvo penta 5.0FL 1995; duo prop) and manually tap on the linkage and it comes back down. Shift lever is smooth but does not seem to return carb. linkage back to proper idle RPM's. If the RPM's are high will it be difficult to go from forward to reverse or into neutral? Thank you.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: carb. and shift lever

Your throttle cable has probably worn internally (wore a groove in the outer core of the cable) this causes the cable to not move as far.
You may be able to adjust the cable end on the carb to slightly preload the carb to idle in neutral, but most likely you are due for a new cable.

atcra

Seaman
Re: carb. and shift lever

Your throttle cable has probably worn internally (wore a groove in the outer core of the cable) this causes the cable to not move as far.
You may be able to adjust the cable end on the carb to slightly preload the carb to idle in neutral, but most likely you are due for a new cable.

Thank you Sir...as soon as you said something about adjusting it on the carb side of the cable I remember tinkering with that while it was down over the winter! I just thought it had too much play. I will re-adjust it back to where it was. Thank you!