Carb adjustments

Jsiples

Seaman
This is a Merc 3.0 I4 with conventional ign. I had my father-in-law the brilliant mechanic decide to put his two cents in on my motor while I was gone and now the mixture and idle is all messed up. Could someone let me know a place to start to get it back in the right parameters. It is a Rochester 2BBL.

freelunch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Carb adjustments

Hey try searching, I have the same carb and know theres alot of info on this subject out there.

Bondo

Staff member

Mixture Screw starts at about 1,1/4 to 1, 1/2 turns out,+ is adjusted to Best Idle from there.....

Idle is set to 650/700rpms.......

Jsiples

Seaman

Much appreciated got it dialed in was running like a champ over the weekend other than one item . Quick question regarding the idle speed?? When I start from cold and let it run up to operating temp it sits just where it should 650-700. When I idle in forward same thing. When I make a run for 10-15 minutes and then come back to forward idle it will not return to the original idle I mean it sits around 12 to 1300, and this is not just for a few minutes it will not idle down unless I turn off the boat and restart?? Not an expert here, just is hard and I know terrible to shift like that since it is bad on the drive any suggestions or recommendations? I thought battery, but it is pretty much right in the middle where it should be prior to the run and after.

Coors

Captain

your throttle cable needs cleaning or replaced. when it is idled high, see if you can open the hood, and manually pull the cable back to idle; either the cable or the carb, probably the cable.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Make sure the linkage to your secondary (and in general) is adjusted right and not binding up. Your symptoms can be caused by the secondary plate sticking open a bit. When you're restarting, the cycling on the linkage could be freeing it up, but once you use it (the secondary), it could be sticking...

ziggy

Admiral

when she's idleing high after yer run. go back and see if the throttle plates are closed after ya come back to idle. i have simialar problem and it's my throttle plates that aint closeing far engough.

Jsiples

Seaman

Appreciate the input makes sense to me, it hasn't been replaced since I have owned it. I hope it's not the carb I just had it rebuilt last summer.