Car not running right, RED HOT exhaust

55Crestliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Car not running right, RED HOT exhaust

Thank you all for the help you've offered, it's appreciated. The owner has elected to donate the car as a tax write off. In fact, it was taken this morning. <br /><br />I'm very frustrated - I've never lost to any kind of engine before - including VW of course.<br />I tried everything according to the factory manual, and everything suggested by everyone here. <br /><br />If you saw the condition of the rest of the car, you'd understand why they donated it, there was a lot of neglect on this one, and being owned by several teenagers did not help.<br /><br />Just to answer an above question, it is the knock sensor variety, not vacuum or mechanical advance. I took it's dizzi and put it in my car, it ran fine, along with the computer. <br /><br />I know all of you wanted to see a good outcome as much as me, sorry it didn't work out that way. Thanks so much. It's back to '50's Johnsons - I can handle them just fine.<br />Chris.

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the update, pity we couldn't get to the bottom of this one, although from the sounds of things the old girl may have led a hard life.<br />I've read recently that it is possible for these engines to have the timing set static at 180' out and look like they are set up correctly and even start up :eek: <br />I suspect the clue was in the fact that she wouldn't advance her own timing.<br /><br />Oh well, maybe she'll live on providing parts for other VW's of that vintage.

55Crestliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep, she already gave up her front sway bar to my Golf, it was 4mm bigger ;)