Car not running right, RED HOT exhaust

55Crestliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Car not running right, RED HOT exhaust

I'm going to try that tonight. It HAS to be a distributor issue at this point I think. Thanks.

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

There's a couple of other things that affect the timing one of which is the knock sensor but if the timing isn't altering at all when the coolant plug is removed or the engine revs change then first look at the throttle switches then suspect the ECU. <br /><br />I'm assuming there is no Crank Sensor on your car? I only ask because although I've never seen one fitted to a Digifant some people swear blind that there are Digifants out there with crank sensors fitted.........usually the load is detected by the throttle switches and the hall sender: of course if the wiring is poor between the hall sender and the ECU then it would get a decent signal.<br /><br />Hope you get it sorted and the good news is that the car is now firing and running so you must be closing in on the fault ;)

55Crestliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nope, still not sorted out. The throttle switches are good, continuity is correct for open and closed position. The ECU cannot be it, I replaced it with the one from my car - still no change.<br /><br />I still haven't taken out the distributor, but I'm not sure what that's going to show me - it's all electronic advance, not mechanical or vacuum.<br />I suppose I could swap my distributor with this car's.

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Check and double check the wiring from the temperature sender: the fact that the timing doesn't change when you disconnect/reconnect might be a big clue.

55Crestliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, I'll give it one more try.

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

You could also try asking these guys: GTi Club <br /><br />If they can't help no-one can ;) <br /><br />Seriously though, they will try to help and have got some great pages on set-up and fault-finding on the Digifant.<br /><br />Hope it helps.

petryshyn

Commander

So I thought I'd look at cam timing again, decided it was 1 tooth advanced, based on putting a skinny object down #1 for TDC.<br />Problem is I still don't know for sure where to put an automatics flywheel - there seems to be several marks. So, honestly, I'm just guessing the best I can with the hieght of the piston.<br /><br />Still, it will only run at about 45 advance. It's running, but not smoothly, but it will rev.
I think you have to get the facts in stone before proceeding.<br /><br />You have got to be sure on the cam timing. It will affect ignition timing.<br /><br />With the rocker cover off, slowly rotate the engine until both valves are held open on #1. Center their position to each other making the last rotation in clockwise direction. This is TDC and should line up with the TDC marks on the dampner pulley. If it doesn't, suspect a jumped belt.

55Crestliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh, sorry, I forgot to post this - I did confirm the timing, I went to a shop and told them the problem of no marker for flywheel 0. He happened to have an automatic Golf right there. I was looking at the wrong window. The correct one was hidden by a wire harness mess. But, it was still correct, even though the correct window is 6 inches from the wrong window. They both show timing marks, but you can't see the other marks in the wrong window. The windows are askew of each other. I was aligning it to what most likely the factory uses. Static timing is indeed correct. As far as the cam timing, it's mark is in the correct spot.<br /><br />My problem is still that the timing doesn't change when revving. This much I know has to happen. It does on my car.

petryshyn

Commander

Have you checked the TPS sensor? How many wires to it? If the TPS is open at Idle, or the idle validation switch is open (or wiring to it) timing will be constant...

55Crestliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

TPS - Throttle position sensor? If that's what you mean, it has 2 switches - one for when the throttle is closed all the way, the other for when it's open all the way. They are working good. When motor is not running, you can hear the click when just cracking the throttle. Also, the continuity test checks out correctly, depending on whether you have throttle closed or open.<br /><br />So, adjustment is good, and function is good.

crazycory

Seaman Apprentice

had the same problem with my '91 vw jetta.<br />it was indeed the timeing belt.

heycods

Captain

Back in my youth it was a lot of fun to stick a potato up the teachers exhaust pipe with a broom handle. You ought to see one of them old packards blow out a potato. :D Probably where the Idea of a potato gun came from.

55Crestliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by crazycory:<br /> had the same problem with my '91 vw jetta.<br />it was indeed the timeing belt.
Timing belt. Can you elaborate on that? <br />I'm assuming you mean it was not timed right, as in the cam didn't match the TDC of piston #1.

crazycory

Seaman Apprentice

yes, the timing belt lost a coouple cogs, due to a frozen tentioner pully. jumped time a couple notches and was apairantly enough to make the exhaust manifold glow.<br />to check this, with the timming cover off, the top sprocket has a groove notched in it. this should be aligned with the upper surface of the cylinder head where the cover mount on (on the front (spark plug)side of engine.<br />after that is done, check the intermediate shaft sprocket to see if the dimple in that sprocket lines up with the v-notch in the crankshaft pulley. if not, it's jumped time

55Crestliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's a quote from my above post...<br /><br />"Static timing is indeed correct. As far as the cam timing, it's mark is in the correct spot.<br /><br />My problem is still that the timing doesn't change when revving. This much I know has to happen. It does on my car."

dolluper

Captain

Static timing correct doesn't advance hummm next step Distributor or dist gear

gatorred

Petty Officer 1st Class

is belt on right, in time, did you replace it it might be streched

frroog000

Cadet

And now I know why I love the old cars. Wrenchs instead of soldering irons. I know no help everything I would check has been covered

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

If timing isn't advancing then check the knock sensor.

crazycory

Seaman Apprentice

two different type ignitions used here.<br />one is with vacuum and mechanical advance.<br />the other is with knock sensors as stan_deezy has already mentioned.<br />in order to identify the problem, we will need more info.