Captain Chair ripped out of deck

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Captain Chair ripped out of deck

Agreed .. chairs are Not repaired with Toggles or T-nuts .. they are through bolted..

If you want a quick "epoxy filled" hole that you can "re-screw" your doomed to the same fate as the OEM .. and that is wrong.

Toggles..good luck with them. .. Not the right way..

Id put a Pie in there and Through Bolt them puppies if at all possible ..

YD.

PS. Got pics yet ?

Zee nuts (the proper name for tee nuts) are factory installed because of their flush fit on the underside of the decking and will not interfere with framing members or other possible obsatcles commonly encountered with washers, nuts, and backing plates. They're stainless steel and the proper application device.

I can see where the toggle bolts would be very handy for an inaccessable under deck application and they would be my second choice. Toggles are very strong, but have their limitations when obstacles are encountered.

An adhesive would be ok if you wanted extra insurance, but would only bond to the deck finish material i.e paint, carpet, vinyl.

skargo

Banned

You would think they would offer some kind of a "sandwich" ring to put under the decking. Not sure how in the hell I would get under mine to through bolt, I guess tear up my deck?

fishrdan

Admiral

You would think they would offer some kind of a "sandwich" ring to put under the decking. Not sure how in the hell I would get under mine to through bolt, I guess tear up my deck?

Deck ring....

My Crestliner has 12x12 thick aluminum plates under the deck for each pedestal, the pedistals are screwed through the deck and aluminum plates with #14 SS screws.

skargo

Banned

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

But people are saying toggles are bad?

There aren't any bad toggles, just bad installers.;)

All 5 of the pedestal bases on my boat fall directly over a 2"x2" framing angle that runs from port to starboard. I know the boat was designed like this to support the pedestal bases. This makes the installation of deck rings or backing plates unfeasable unless I was to cut out the part(s) of the plate or ring that hit the supports, but I probably still wouldn't be able to get all the bolts in. But with careful layout, I can rotate the bases so all of the holes miss the supports... some just barely. This is where the Zee nuts/blind fasteners really come in handy. They work well and I haven't had a base failure in the 14 yrs. that I've owned the boat.

Backing plates and deck rings are good to have if they'll work on your boat, but other types of installation will work too... but not wood or sheet metal screws just screwed through the decking.

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

Can you access the underside of the chair to through bolt it ??

YD.

I installed a 7"x11" hatch in my floor right between my seats just for this purpose.

Worked great to reach under the floor and put the washers and nuts on.