Captain Chair ripped out of deck

detoolman

Cadet
I just bought my first boat (1983 Lema), and while we were fishing, a friend was relaxing in the captains chair and the screws ripped out of the deck and the chair and friend toppled over.

There are no soft spots in the deck, and the screws for the chair ripped out pretty clean. The wood appears dry but does not seem to be rotten, and the empty screw holes appear to have been sealed whenever the chairs were installed.

Is there a chance this is a minor repair or am I looking at a much bigger job?

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Captain Chair ripped out of deck

Welcome to iboats Dry Dock,

As long as the wood is still solid, can you rotate the base a little and install the screws in the wood? Or can it be shifted slightly and reinstalled?

If not the above you can fill the holes with epoxy and remount and let it cure good before putting any stress on the screws.

detoolman

Cadet

Yes, I can rotate or even shift the chair. My main concern, having no experience with boats, is the deck itself. Is the fact that the wood appears dry, not discolored, and not stinky enough to say that is probably just normal wear? I just want to cover my bases before I remount and cover up a bigger problem.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I wouldn't go looking for problems. If it seems dry, remount that chair and get back to fishing.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Yes, I can rotate or even shift the chair. My main concern, having no experience with boats, is the deck itself. Is the fact that the wood appears dry, not discolored, and not stinky enough to say that is probably just normal wear? I just want to cover my bases before I remount and cover up a bigger problem.

Fill the old holes with epoxy (to keep your deck sealed) and remount the seat. Like EZ said, enjoy the water.

saltwaterbluefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Depending on the thread size of the screws and if it was sealed properly (with epoxy for example) this may be why it pulled out under pressure. I have had a problem with this myself since I put a lot of pressure on one side. Just use epoxy (I like the epoxy sticks) when you re-attach and you will be good.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Here's what I have found over the years. Captain's chairs inheirently put significant stress on their bases and the screws seem to ALWAYS work loose. That's why I ALWAYS recommend Toggle bolts. They will NEVER work loose again unles the DECK FAILS. It take a little more effort to install them BUT, in the long run, I FEEL it is well worth the extra effort. But then again, as EVERYBODY knows...

I AM just a DUMB OKIE!!!!!!:eek::p:D

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Can you access the underside of the chair to " through Bolt it " ..

Or is this a screw only chair base...

Pics :) ..

YD.

detoolman

Cadet

It is a screw only chair base.
I greatly appreciate all the replies. I will remount for now and eventually install a leaning post when the boss gives me the ok.
Thanks again.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

With the Garelick Toggle bolts you don't NEED to have access to the underside of the deck to toggle bolt them. You can do it ALL from the top side. That's the beauty of them. I'm just not getting why you don't want to use them.

fishrdan

Admiral

Questions... How thick is the deck wood/fiberglass, how long are the screws and what size are the screws. from what I remember, deck plate screws should be #14 or 1/4" screws,,, stainless steel of course.

If you are going to remount the base in a different position (rotate it and drill different holes) make sure to slather the holes with epoxy before running the screws home. This will fortify the wood where the screws are biting into and keep it from pulling out easily. Also, since one of the bases pulled out, you might as well remove the others and epoxy those screw holes too. I'd put a dab of epoxy down the threads of the screws too, so it coats the threads as the screws are run into the deck.

On the togglers, you might not be able to use them if there are obstructions under the deck (stringer), uneven underside of deck, hull too close to deck and you can't feed it through all the way. If it's wide open under there, they would work well.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Can you access the underside of the chair to " through Bolt it " ..

Pics :) ..

YD.

It is a screw only chair base.
I greatly appreciate all the replies. I will remount for now and eventually install a leaning post when the boss gives me the ok.
Thanks again.

Can you access the underside of the chair to through bolt it ??

YD.

detoolman

Cadet

I have filled the holes with epoxy and I am going to use the anchored bolts. Thanks for all the help.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Now you're talkin!!!!!
great_5.gif

skargo

Banned

How do those toggle bolts work?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

How do those toggle bolts work?

Stick the bolt through the hole then screw the toggle on. You'll have to enlarge the hole through the decking to push the toggle through.

With all the toggles installed in the chair base, set the base over the enlarged holes in the decking and push the toggle through.

Lift up on each bolt until the toggle meets the underside of the deck and screws the bolt down while keeping upward pressure on the bolt.

When finished it will make for a sturdy installation.

If the seat bases on the OPs boat were just screwed to the decking I suspect a half-azz restore was done. Most pedestal bases that are installed correctly have these on the underside of the decking.

teeNutF.jpg

Regular screws will hold a pedestal base for a while, but as the OP found out... they will eventually fail.

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A captains chair installed with screws? That should be through bolted with large washers and 5200 at the least.

skargo

Banned

Stick the bolt through the hole then screw the toggle on. You'll have to enlarge the hole through the decking to push the toggle through.

With all the toggles installed in the chair base, set the base over the enlarged holes in the decking and push the toggle through.

Lift up on each bolt until the toggle meets the underside of the deck and screws the bolt down while keeping upward pressure on the bolt.

When finished it will make for a sturdy installation.

If the seat bases on the OPs boat were just screwed to the decking I suspect a half-azz restore was done. Most pedestal bases that are installed correctly have these on the underside of the decking.

teeNutF.jpg

Regular screws will hold a pedestal base for a while, but as the OP found out... they will eventually fail.

I have those t-bolts but some have fallen off. I am doing some floor repair, and carpet replacement this off season, and will try the toggle bolts, as I can't get underneath to add more t-bolts.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

A captains chair installed with screws? That should be through bolted with large washers and 5200 at the least.

Agreed .. chairs are Not repaired with Toggles or T-nuts .. they are through bolted..

If you want a quick "epoxy filled" hole that you can "re-screw" your doomed to the same fate as the OEM .. and that is wrong.

Toggles..good luck with them. .. Not the right way..

Id put a Pie in there and Through Bolt them puppies if at all possible ..

YD.

PS. Got pics yet ?