Capri 1750 Complete Restore :) & 9 Months to do it too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'd recommend using a router with a round over bit to ease all the edges of your frame. That'll make it a lot easier to wrap the glass. make sure to coat it all first with resin and hardener to seal it and especially pay close attention to the plywood edges.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Hey Dez, you can pick up a door skin for about $10 at most big-box-store home improvements. that is 1/8" plywood with a veneer. plenty flexible, and a pneumatic stapler will hold until the tite-bond sets.

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was super interested to see how you'd fabricate this from the designs that were shared earlier in the thread - 1st rate work so far!

Do you have an estimation of how much the finished console will weigh? How heavy is it in it's current state?

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
That's looks pretty sweet. I would add some supports to the seat area to carry the load of a person. Just doesn't look like much from the pics.

you could add two bump outs on the lower section like under the tach and speedo for the switches. That way there a little closer to you and add some pizazz to the top.

Thanks for the tips.. I will make sure it is strong enough :) Bump outs will work I think... I plan to change up the dash a bit already :( Going back to my highschool days and gonna try out some raised gauge pods maybe ;) We shall see.

I also want to make the dash face removable so if I ever change something in the future I can cut out a new one and install a lot easier. The one I have now is 1/2 and the gauges don't have much meat for mounting on the back. I was going to get a rabbit router bit and make some recessed pockets but I will think on that for a couple days before I decide what to do.

dezmond

plenty of room for switches under the gauges as well as room for cup holders

That's what I was thinking as well. Why not introduce some nice curves and raised cup holders and switch panel in there somewhere instead of flat??

dezmond

Cool...all those years of model making paid off!

They sure did kcassells :) One thing I really do miss.. I was actually online loooking for a 2'x4' 100 watt cnc laser the other day just to see if I could find something cheap and throw it i the garage.. There are soooooooo many things I could make again ;) Don't think the wife will agree on this one..

dezmond

I'd recommend using a router with a round over bit to ease all the edges of your frame. That'll make it a lot easier to wrap the glass. make sure to coat it all first with resin and hardener to seal it and especially pay close attention to the plywood edges.

Will do for sure Woodonglass I will coat it all before putting any skin or material on. Also I will round over everything.

dezmond

I was super interested to see how you'd fabricate this from the designs that were shared earlier in the thread - 1st rate work so far!

Do you have an estimation of how much the finished console will weigh? How heavy is it in it's current state?

Thanks sopwithcamel74 :) I am very close to the original design with a few small changes... Mostly on the top. It shouldn't weigh too much the way I am building it. As of right now I can pick it up with little effort. Because of the small area I have to work in, when I need to cut something, I sling the console up on the rails on top of the boat. I could do it with one arm if it wasn't so big :) I have a scale somewhere in the tool room downstairs, I will get actual weight for ya soon..

How you making out with your build? Much progress???

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks sopwithcamel74 :) I am very close to the original design with a few small changes... Mostly on the top. It shouldn't weigh too much the way I am building it. As of right now I can pick it up with little effort. Because of the small area I have to work in, when I need to cut something, I sling the console up on the rails on top of the boat. I could do it with one arm if it wasn't so big :) I have a scale somewhere in the tool room downstairs, I will get actual weight for ya soon..

How you making out with your build? Much progress???

Not much progress at all, really - still working on our home reno projects, but nearing completion on those. With a bit of good fortune, I'm hoping to be done with all of that within a few more months, and then it's on to the boat.

I've got everything on my electronics wish list, and I've pulled up all of the old carpet and most of the old wiring. I've removed about half of the upholstered side panels, and have them stowed away for template making. And I've been tinkering around with a vintage singer table sewing machine for the aforementioned vinyl work.

Still living vicariously through you guys at the moment. But I'm not too far off from it now.

dezmond

Hmmmmmmm. 2 cup holders, 8 rocker switches, USB plug, GX1600 marine radio and a single din deck. Might get the 3” round radio instead of the standard deck I have. But where to put all this? :noidea:

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
You could put the one radio in the center under the gauge and you could mount the switches and other radio on the front more out toward the steering wheel. That way your cup holders would not block anything when something is in them. If you wanted to get fancy you could add a "cove" for the switches and push them in the front a little.

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
After a long time of rebelling against the idea, I ended up purchasing a round head unit in December. It was a mental thing for me to get past - the form factor was just off-putting. Having made the purchase though, I realize that I was just being dense lol... Definitely the way to go if space is at a premium.

dezmond

Hey guys. Looking for opinions on throttle controls. Ultraflex B501 or Seastar CH7500. I like both but have had no experience with them. Also I am ordering a rotary steering soon. Just starting to look around.

Thanks.

dezmond

Hey Everyone :)

Little update for you all. Been busy the last couple weeks getting the framework done on the center console. Looking really good. Also ordered more supplies and some toys ;). Just got on my 3rd 5 gallon jug of eeeeeepoxy and another gallon of hardener. More chip brushes, pastry bags, West Systems 406 silica and sand paper. For the toys I decided to go with the Xtreme NFB rotary steering system from SeaStar Solutions. They have a great tech support guy that helped me out. I could of went with the 4.2 system but wanted the better cable. I will get lots of pics and a video of the install and will post on here. Also I got my BOSS 3” round radio. I didn’t have much room for the full din so I went this route. Got all my contra switches. Plan to make a custom switch panel insert that will go between the steering wheel and the shift/throttle controls. As for the shift controls I am still undecided but will let you all know what route I’m going.

Then will be the T-Top. I really like what Dolphin has to offer. We shall see.

Also so planning out my side walls. I think I’m going to build storage compartments on each side and PB them in place. Then make fibreglass panels that will be attached that can be removed if I ever have to get in there for wiring etc. Not sure yet how to make them removable. I am getting some amazing help from a buddy that has a CNC mill setup so we can make pretty much whatever I need to make it work :).

Got lots of pics to share but I won’t be able to get them up here till mid next week.

Happy weekend all!

Status
Not open for further replies.