Capri 1750 Complete Restore :) & 9 Months to do it too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Ciera2450 Thanks. I watched his video. Forgot about it :(. Oh well. I used the transom drilling jig today and got my holes drilled out and my steering relief cuts done. I then measured my transom thickness and as of now I am at 1.870” thickness. I believe I need to be at least at 2.00” correct?

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
A minimum of 2", max of 2.25". If you can easily through the gimbal in I would check your clearance. I had to grind a little on mine after I thought I was good and it was all gel coated. Luckily I still had some gel coat to touch it up.

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
How did the jig work for you Dez?
I am pretty close to that point on mine and am interested in more details on how you went about it.
also interested in borrowing or renting that jig for my MC-1 install

dezmond

Went really good. Nice to give the right angle when drilling. Same goes for the steering relief. No guessing :). Also the same jig is used to scribe your outline for your keyhole cut out which is pretty nice. If you haven’t cut it out already ;). More than welcome to borrow it anytime.

dezmond

Hey Everyone :) Update time..

Has been a pretty good weekend so far.. Decided to get some of the little things finished up. Started with the transom holes and steering relief... Used the Drilling jig and man that is nice to have. No guessing on angles :)

Holes drilled and reliefs cut! Since this boat had the Ford 2.3 and different drive, MY MC-1 was a bit narrower on the sides. I mixed up some Eeeeeeeepoxy and West System 404 and PB'd the small edges along the sides. I will scuff them up and do another layer once cured then block sand the back to make sure it is nice and flat.

Then I cut come of scraps up and used them to glass over the little wood sections at the back of the boat. You know, the ladder supports, side stiffeners for when you trailer, etc. Also had a couple of places that I thought I should of put some glass back. I didn't take a lot off when grinding but thought I should anyways..

Since I didn't really take anything off the side walls, I don't need to add more on do I? Mechanicalmike08 You went up your side walls.. Any reason why???

Then I decided to take a check on my transom thickness.. CRAP!!! Not thick enough.. Came in at 1.870" I know I need at least 2.00" so I cut up 2 pieces of 17oz biax and 1 10oz cloth. Just layed them up this morning. Tonight I will be able to see where I an at...

That's about it for now. Going to go and tidy up the shop then maybe play around with the console design. Going to go back and tackle the bow seating this week once I get a couple of bit's in that I need. Should have most of it buttoned up by the end of next weekend.

Gonna ask again about side wall panels.. If I use 1/4" Mahogany sheets and put a layer of 10 oz cloth on them, should that be good enough? They bend nice to curves.

Thanks all and I'll be hanging around here if there are any questions :)

Dezi

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
More times than not the deck is cut all the way to the sides so then you would go up and tab. Yo look like you have plenty of deck to bit onto.
On another note.....you lookin like the PB King. Nice work as usual.

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
I only did my sidewalls because someone had done the deck at some point before and must have ground the carpet glue off. So after a second round of grinding by me there was basically nothing left of my side walls. Since I was gel coating I wanted something there to give it some base.

Looking good.

dezmond

Thanks Mike. What I figured..

Well I crappy way to end the weekend :( Good news, I got these goodies in and unboxed :)

The helm comes in at a whopping 7.6lbs. !!!! For sure using 3/4" ply for backing on the console..

So I did some measurements and checked what I need for clearance for cables, etc. CONSOLE IS TOO NARROW!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhh :( I am short almost 4" needed to put the new steering and shifter in. Oh well, I only used 1 1/2 sheets of plywood to build what i have, I can use some of it for other things too.

Sooooooooooo One Step Forward and I fell on my A$$ backwards :) All will be fine. Can't let this get me down, I will just rebuild it wider and change a few things next time around on how I built it ;) Same type of framing structure but only better ;)

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sooooooooooo One Step Forward and I fell on my ***** backwards :) All will be fine. Can't let this get me down, I will just rebuild it wider and change a few things next time around on how I built it ;) Same type of framing structure but only better ;)

Doh! Hang in there. This happens...to everyone.

tpenfield

Staff member
Maybe a side mount control instead of surface mount :noidea:

dezmond

Side mount won’t work since I already bought the top mount. All will be good. I will figure out.

Franzia

Cadet
well I am 10 pages in now on the post. tons of good info on it. thank you all. definitely need to keep reading on this.

dezmond

well I am 10 pages in now on the post. tons of good info on it. thank you all. definitely need to keep reading on this.

Thanks for coming by :) Glad I was able to help out :) Anytime you have questions, don't hesitate to ask.

dezmond

Well a small update everyone... Been a good night catching up on a couple little things. Cut the last layup on my transom key hole out and wanted to check what my thickness was at..

The multitool worked awesome getting it flush. And really no dust! Just dropped straight down.

Got my verniers out to see where I was at in a few spots....

CRAP! Still more to go.. only 50 thou and I am at minimum spec. My last layup was 2 layers of 17oz biax and 1 10oz cloth. I grabbed my keyhole cut out and measured and that was .080". So my last layup will consist of 2 more layers of 17oz biax and 2 of 10oz. I should be able to do this all in one layup correct? All wet on wet? Then I know for sure I will be within spec. When I check all the way around my cutout I was at 1.95" everywhere. This made me happy that I actually did a good job keeping things flat ;) Let's hope my last layup will be the same.

So then I decided I would clean up around the outside of the keyhole. Used my little sanding disc pad thingy on the drill and beveled, roughed up and got things where I wanted.

A quick sand with 80grit on the orbital.. I found these on amazon for a really good price and good reviews. So far I like them. They stay on the sander and don't wear that quick which is nice.

Grabbed some Eeeeeeepoxy resin, hardener and some West Systems 404 filler which is great for bonding.

Mixed up the resin good for a minute... Added one scoop of filler...

Checked the consistency.. Tooooooo Soupy... Shouldn't be runny like this if you want PB

Another scoop and mix again....

There we go.. It stuck to the mixing stick... Perfect. So then it was time to smutz it on and semi level it out. I didn't want it perfectly flat as I want to block sand it to make sure it is level/flush with the transom.

Yes it looks all goooby on there but then I grabbed this to smooth it out. It works great. I had a bit more pressure on the glass side of the transom. This way it would be a bit proud of the keyhole area where I wanted to build it up..

This is where I stopped to let it setup for the night. The hardest thing is to know when to stop playing around with it. You won't get it perfect this step.. It's in the sanding to get it right. I always had that problem with painting. I thought just one more pass... Then a run would appear. So now I try and slow down and stop when I think I should..

Sorry for all the pics. I thought some of you would like to see how PB is mixed.. If I can help in anyway I will try.

Aaaaaaand, I have been thinking of the console. Will be starting framing on new one later this week. Got some really cool ideas in my head from my mistakes on the last one.. I will of course share pics and what I did if you guys would like me to ;)

Ta Ta

dezmond

Yes I am painting everything. Since using epoxy, no more gelcoat.

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
Dez I very much enjoy and appreciate the pictures.
relocating / reshapeing the keyhole would be a more accurate description I think

dezmond

No problem Red. No re locating. Same spot as it was. Just adapting to the MC-1 drive. ;)

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Whateva da term......…..YOU CAN DO IT!
th

Status
Not open for further replies.