Cant find a prop Johnson 100ESL72R

jamminmaz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thread starter
Joined
May 3, 2004
Messages
82
Hello,<br /><br />It seems when I want to buy a prop for this 72 Johnson 100, that i usaully get listings up to 1968, and then again after 1974. The only jonny V-4 prop i can find anywhere (on the net)is for a "125 hp thru hub 13 spline."<br /><br />Should I order based on the 68?<br /><br />Any help much appreciated, i just want a "gear down" prop for pulling skiers days.
 

walleyehed

Admiral
Joined
Jun 29, 2003
Messages
6,767
Re: Cant find a prop Johnson 100ESL72R

13 spline for V4 applications will be the prop then, 85HP-up, thru-hub exhaust.<br />EDIT: some of the tripples use the same prop....60-75HP...
 

walleyehed

Admiral
Joined
Jun 29, 2003
Messages
6,767
Re: Cant find a prop Johnson 100ESL72R

What pitch do you have now? and what RPM at WOT if you have a tach..???
 

jamminmaz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thread starter
Joined
May 3, 2004
Messages
82
Re: Cant find a prop Johnson 100ESL72R

Tach is broken, or onhooked for now, but it sounds healthy at WOT, but i know (based on the sound) that it could wind a little harder (not bogging, but not whining either)<br />I have now a 13 3/4 x 15, and am after a 13 pitch, maybe even 11. My thing is pulling skiers, and i dont care much about top speed. I am at 5-5500 feet in elevation, so that added torue is what i am after more than speed. I think it would help pop skiers up quicker to go down a "gear" or two. Does anyone out there have an old prop they want to sell me cheaper than new??<br />thanks
 

walleyehed

Admiral
Joined
Jun 29, 2003
Messages
6,767
Re: Cant find a prop Johnson 100ESL72R

We get our rears kicked if we try and sell or buy here on the forum, so we'll stay away from that.<br />I know the pain of high altitude operation and I'll give ya my 2 cents on the prop. Go with a 13 pitch and drill 5/32" vent holes in the hub..this will increase hole-shot a great deal and allow a bit better top-end than if you went to an 11 pitch.<br />Do a search on venting, prop venting, drilling prop, etc., at the top of the page and you should find the right info on how to drill your prop.<br />EDIT; If you do buy a 13 pitch, try it out before you drill it, you may be able to get by without vent holes.
 

jamminmaz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thread starter
Joined
May 3, 2004
Messages
82
Re: Cant find a prop Johnson 100ESL72R

Awesome, thank you.<br /><br />Sorry, i really did not know about sell / purcahse rule in the forum.<br /><br />thanks for the advice, and have a great weekend.
 

jamminmaz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thread starter
Joined
May 3, 2004
Messages
82
Re: Cant find a prop Johnson 100ESL72R

DJ,<br />Thank you for the link!! You guys have been a great help.<br /><br />I apologize again, i was not aware about the solicitation rule...<br /><br />Jamminmaz<br />P.S. I have a Doozy coming up. I need to find the right catagory in the forum to post, but i am contemplating taking 16' 1972 fiberform closed bow, and cutting it to turn it into an open bow with a couple seats up front. I just need to see if the pros think that bow is structeral at all, or if the strength comes from the bottom keel part... I have pics, and should have a link up by today or tomorrow.<br /><br />Thanks again,
 
Top