Can't figure out wich year/ model I own.

Pappy24

Seaman
Howdy, I have a OMC Sterndrive 120 Model # 980701 serial number W56496. It was in a 1976 Rinker. Can anyone direct Me to know the year and which model (400 or 800) it is? Much appreciated . Pappy24.

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome Aboard Pappy.

On a '76 you should have an electric shift, so it's neither a 400 or 800. It's an electric shift. The model number on the drive never helps me find anything: Engine HP and the tag on the block is what get's me along.

Your engine should be an inline 4 153 Chevy. So the block tag will be something like 990223A11 MT (there are about 4 alternatives). Otherwise go by HP on the drive.

The 400 and 800 designations come in after '77 for hydro-mechanical and mechanical drives based on engine size (400 for the smaller engines, 800 for the larger ones).

Pappy24

Seaman
Thanks so much for the info on this dinosaur. Been a outboard man for 50 years and this OMC is one odd unit. You are correct a 4 cylinder. Usually the model # is the reference point in my searches. So this outdrive is correctly called a 1976 OMC 120 HP Stringer ? Thanks again .

southkogs

Staff member
I would specify Electric Shift ... 1976 OMC Electric Shift Stringer 120 HP ... when looking for parts and such. Otherwise, you've got it correct. Stringers were produced from about '62 through '87, and in that time frame there were three different shift systems. Electric shift, which will getcha' chuckled at in the boating community, lasted through about '77. It ain't a bad drive on the overall, but definitely a relic and tricky to find some parts or a mechanic willing to work on 'em. Humorously, almost all of the outboards I've owned have been electric shift too, so I'm pretty used to the quirks - and I've come to prefer some things about electric shift over mechanical shift.

Some really good readin' HERE and HERE.

Pappy24

Seaman
Wow now that's a history lesson! Thanks so much for the info. If you ever need to know where the fish are bitin' on Lake Ontario contact Me.