Info for Stringer drives

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer
I've seen quite a few posts and had a few people PM me about basics for stringer drives, so I thought I would post up some helpful basic info for my fellow 'Stringies'. :D

Here's some specs from my owners manual:

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Info for Stringer drives

And here's some serial # and gear ratio info:

Hope this stuff will be helpful for people getting to know their stringer drives and figuring out what parts people are talking about when they ask for help. :D

superbenk

Commander

Any DIYer should be buying a manual as one of their first accessories, IMO. Even the Solec manual has been invaluable to me & for about $30 it's a no brainer. I've seen factory shop manuals for my drive for $35 on eBay, so there really isn't an excuse for not having a manual.

southkogs

Staff member

Agreed on getting a manual - was the first thing I bought after I got the boat. I actually have two different ones now, just because they sometimes offer different information. Well worth it.

NWRedneck - thanks for the post. I've added to my collection of "stringer" helps.

rikkitikki

Recruit

Thanx for pics and part #'s. Just bought a 1979 16' Century for the OMC outdrive for my 1974 18' open bow w/ low profile electric shift. I am going to swap the new outdrive as I cooked the gears in the Intermediate gearbox. I guess I will have to swap controls as new one is cable shift and did not realize the difference til I got it home. Paid $600.00 for the Century w/120hp, my original is a 140hp so I guess from reading these posts my gear ratio will be different. I also have 2 complete high profile outdrives that I was going to swap the gears only out of, but now may not have to.

metalwizard

Chief Petty Officer

Hey MODS can we sticky this.. I find myself going back to this and having trouble finding it.. and it's some great info for everyone..

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer

Here's the intermediate housing:

The tilt motor: