Can you tell what brand or model this boat is?

Mr5cott

Cadet
So since the excursion to go see the Dorsett catalina, I was browsing CL again and happened across this boat. "Boat and trailer needs work. $100 and its your project."

It is nearby <100 miles. Talked to seller and it was a trade upon a trade deal. He believes everything is there and just doesn't have time for the project. He has no idea what the brand or model is or even year.

Will be going to see it soon. Heck for $100 why not? Question is from the pic here, any ideas of what it is?

00E0E_8slUy5gXsed_600x450.jpg

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Can you tell what brand or model this boat is?

If you don't LOVE that boat, it may be hard to remain dedicated to it's rehab. The demo, tear down & grinding is taxing at best.

Do they have all the paperwork that Colorado requires for boats, motors & trailers?

It probably needs trailer tires to be hauled home, so $95+/-, plus for a half day's travel (round trip + on-site) and gas.

Looks like the windshield is missing.

Is there an IFA store close in Colorado? Sort of Tractor Supply of the west. Tractor Supply has good prices on trailer parts & pieces (inc tires & rims).

If you've never demo'd a boat, it could be a good learning tool. Which could help you inspect your next project boat more thoroughly prior to it's purchase.

The motor might be salvaged for parts, maybe even made to run (inexpensively) & sold to fund a Dorsett purchase or materials to rehab it. MAYBE

Possibly provide a better trailer then what comes under the boat you ultimately desire. But I doubt it, it's probably a trailer for a 15ft'r & your dream Dorsett is probably an 18ft+ boat. There isn't much money to be made in 'flipping' vintage trailers for profit. But you might clean up the trailer, add new tires & sell it for about what you have in it, $150 OR LESS.

The slight fins put this boat as very late 50's or very early 60's, IMHO.

Get more pix & more info on the motor. Find out what size trailer tires (AND RIMS) it takes, including 4 or 5 lug, lug bolts vs. lug nuts.

If you go look at it, take new trailer tires w/ you & offer then $100... Esp if the seller's wife is w/in earshot, then offer less then $50....

EDIT: Take bearing lube & plan to put new bearings on for the return trip. Means timing your arrival at the boat in time to swap rims & tires, then either figure out the needed bearings & go get them, or carefully tow the trailer to a safe location to replace the bearings after you buy them........

Last edited:

Mr5cott

Cadet

Yes I figured it would all be a good learning experience. I had already planed on tires and or bearings or if I am lucky my other neighbor can help me get it with his gooseneck. The seller claims he pulled this trailer down from Denver. approx 150 miles and 75 mph speed limits. However it has been sitting for a few years. The years you stated was my guess and seems the outboard matches. Well at least it has an intact transom:laugh:

jc55

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey, I'm still looking for a Catalina for you! :)

Mr5cott

Cadet

Hey Jc...cool. As I said before, for $100 plus any road worthy repairs I couldn't pass this up. I have been all fiberglassics browsing photos and elsewhere and still cant find anything that matches this one in photo.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

For $100 that would be a good starter boat for you to hone your demolition and fiberglassing skills on and you'll be skilled when your Dorset sails into port.

Mr5cott

Cadet

I agree. We will see when I go look at it. According to seller, he believes everything is there. The motor was running when he parked it a few years ago. has seats, just need to be mounted, (And upholstered I would think). And yes paperwork.

jc55

I don't want to be negative or a Debbie downer, but please take into consideration the possible thousands it could take to bring this one up to par, depending on your restoration standard to save $500 on that rough Dorsett. Only speaking from the hot rod world where cost concious people who restore 4 door Bel-airs spend the same amount as their 2 door buddies. We're behind you whatever you decide...:)

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

I would strongly consider letting that boat walk unless you are in love with it and dying for a project...

I think JBC asked the best question: Given that this was a "trade upon a trade" type deal and the present "owner" doesn't even know what kind of boat it is (i.e. no title/registration), you may have some title issues.

I don't know what the laws of Colorado are relative to titling/registering boats/motors and trailers, but if its anything like most states then you may be in for a tough road there..

Believe it or not, $100.00 or free boats are a dime a dozen... Whether the starting point is $100.00 or $300.00 or $500.00, the initial purchase price is just a drop in the bucket to get these boats restored and running safely.

Boats and motors and trailers like to be run... Assuming the seller is telling the truth that it ran and trailered a few years ago (no telling what sitting idle through 3 Colorado winters did to it).

The biggest mistake I ever made was a buying an old boat that wasn't right for me just because it had a cheap price tag ($300.00). I spent a couple of years trying to get get her all shiny and pretty and running and then finally cut my losses and moved on.

I did end up restoring a boat, but it was one more in line for my interests and budget.

Last edited:

Mr5cott

Cadet

Yes Jc that is totally possible. I do have to start somewhere. Until I get it here at home I will not know exactly which direction it will go. It will be a fun project whichever happens. Or...I could take up rock polishing. I wonder if the have agility competitions for Pet rocks? haha

jc55

Then go for it Brother! That's a short open bow...I vote for a small custom pilot house built from cut up fiberglass tonneau covers!

Mr5cott

Cadet

hehe you might be on to something there! As I side note, one of these months I need to go pick up that 60's era Merc 650 I bought. It was meant for the Catalina. I got it for $100 and supposedly it runs. I will either be making a road trip to eastern AR. Or possibly the seller will be coming out here in the spring.

Mdinz

Seaman Apprentice

Hard to tell from the photo, but I think that is a early to mid 60's Aristo-Craft Funliner. Some kids in my harbor have one and have been tearing it up the last couple of years. It's a shame because it was a really nice boat when they got it.

Here's a few pics of what they look like from a early 60's brouchure.

Mark

Mr5cott

Cadet

Pmc, First I would like to apologize. I did not see what you posted here until just now. I completely agree with you. I cannot tell anything until I at least go see it. On the other side of the coin, I need to start somewhere. I think I mentioned before the owner has title to both boat and trailer. You are correct I do not want to go down the title less road. Three winters would be hard, although that region tends to be a bit more mild. I may indeed let it go but for me it is worth a look. In the end, it is all experience.

Mr5cott

Cadet

Mdinz, Thanks. Those lines certainly do look close!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Perhaps this is closer a match:
1959_Owens_Finished_01-20130803.jpg

I think the 2 companies are 'related', so here's 2 links to some info about both Cutter & Owens:
www.fiberglassics.com/library/Cutter

www.fiberglassics.com/library/Owens

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

IN Colorado the only thing to register a boat is a bill of sale, unless you were the previous registrant, then nothing as it's all handled through the Colorado Parks and Rec. The trailer (if no paperwork is given), will require a VIN verification ($20). Then applicable title fees to the DMV...

You should just offer to take the boat off his hands for free...while I agree it's only a $100...maybe he thinks the same thing... it's only a $100 bucks!

~Brett