Can You Build a Fiberglass Hull From Scratch

luckyinkentucky

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Can You Build a Fiberglass Hull From Scratch

We're building the TW28 from Bateau. Stretching it 30" for a total of 30.5'. Keeping the same beam.

I've estimated a low cost (if bought everything wholesale) of $45K and a high (if bought everything retail) of $70K all in Cdn dollars. We want a nicely finished boat but probably not yacht quality. Just something reasonable to live on for the summer.

http://209.217.103.164/kbii/summary.htm

Wow! For around $68K USD I would just buy a nice Crownline and save myself the trouble.

I looked at the 'coast guard vessel' the other day, and it wasn't coast guard at all. He just assumed it was a CG vessel, because he didn't think people owned boats that big. :p It was a very nice boat at one time, but mice and birds had nested in it for the longest time. It would need a major renovation. He told me the boat was a 1985 Mainship, but he didn't know the model. I made him an offer of $2000 since he did have the trailer that actually looked better than the boat. :) It did not need any hull repairs that I could see from the outside, and the floor was rock solid. I was almost shaking when I found out that he actually had no idea what he had. :) I was expecting a big tub of steel or something. I could probably spend $10k to $20k on her to get her to my liking, but we will have to see. He is supposed to get back to me on Friday to let me know if he accepts my offer. Don't worry I gave him $100 to hold onto in case someone else comes along. He will give it back should he decide to decline my offer.

KnottyBuoyz

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Wow! For around $68K USD I would just buy a nice Crownline and save myself the trouble.
Sometimes it's not about the destination but the journey to get there! If we wanted a similar new boat we'd have to spend considerably more than that. I can't somehow justify paying more for a boat than I did for my house. Besides, no more used boats for us, everything we've looked at in our price range has pretty much had the crap run out of them. Don't want to inherit someone elses problems. Been there, done that.

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

old thread, missed the date