Can someone look at this DP lower pic

LegacyT

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking at purchasing this DP lower. It comes with the hardware shown... It's just missing the fish line protectors right? Also just want to make sure the bigger shaft splines are not damaged (at the aft end)...

Today 011.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Can someone look at this DP lower pic

What gear ratio is it? That's the important thing. No way of telling if the threads and splines are ok from that picture.

LegacyT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok this may help. where the red arrows are pointing... Seems like all the splines are uniform just dont know if its damage or if their made lake that...

Today 008.jpg

and its 1.95:1

Don S

1.95 is what you want, and that step is normal. No problem.

The one thing you do need is the bearing race for the vertical shaft, It will have to be re-shimmed to the intermediate housing.

LegacyT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Awesome, thanks Don. I'm hoping to get the race from the guy. I hear installing a new bearing is alot of extra work... So the only thing missing are the 2 fish line protectors?? If so, how much do they usually cost?

Don S

Volvo doesn't even sell the line cutters anymore. Only spacers.

LegacyT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok so those two rings on the shaft are the required spacers?

Don S

The one on the big shaft looks like a pieces from the old line cutter. Have no idea what the one is on the small shaft.

HorizonblueDK

Petty Officer 1st Class

1.95 is what you want, and that step is normal. No problem.

The one thing you do need is the bearing race for the vertical shaft, It will have to be re-shimmed to the intermediate housing.

A very important procedure, when switching the lower unit on a Volvo outdrive (pre SX). I know a guy who has switched a few SP to DP, just by loosening bolts, take the old lower unit off, on with the new, bolts on and ready to go.

I have tried to convince him that he must use the bearing race that belongs to the lower unit, and mount it in the upper unit with the correct shims, but he won't listen, so I have given up. But I'm not going to purchase an outdrive from him.....