Can someone help identify part number???

whtlbck74

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 21, 2012
Messages
10
I have a 1983 OMC with a 5.0. The tilt motor has disintegrated, and I'm looking to buy a replacement. I am having a problem finding one with the longer shaft shown in the picture. Can anyone help?
 

Attachments

  • 2012-05-21_09-59-42_129.jpg
    2012-05-21_09-59-42_129.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 0

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
10,083
Re: Can someone help identify part number???

I have a 1983 OMC with a 5.0. The tilt motor has disintegrated, and I'm looking to buy a replacement. I am having a problem finding one with the longer shaft shown in the picture. Can anyone help?


Howdy,

Welcome aboard!


Well, you might need to provide a little more info so your drive systems can be identified.

I did a little looking around at BRP (OMC sterndrive) parts and I found that just about ALL the stringers use an OMC# 0982706 tilt motor

You can use the above number in a google search to find many online dealers selling it.....

You can also go to http://epc.brp.com and view part numbers for almost ALL OMC stern drives. (you don't have to put in your email address if you don't want to....)

Once you find your correct model number you can view the parts for it. There's several models for each year and while I didn't look at all of them the same tilt motor tilt motor is used for several models over several years..

Regards,


Rick
 

cr2k

Captain
Joined
Mar 19, 2009
Messages
3,730
Re: Can someone help identify part number???

Are you sure you removed everything? In the picture it looks like you are missing the end piece. The 2 tilt motors are either a flange mount (shorter motor) or a thru bolt mount which it looks like you have but there may still be a good part of left on the tilt mechanism.
My book shows NO long shaft motors. I suspect what you have is PN 382138 or NAPA/Sierra PN 18-6754 The only one with 2 wires.
The other is PN 18-6755 a flange mount that also has a ground wire or OMC PN 982706 or 982058. Either one is a real PITA to change. Sometimes it is easier to pull the boot and do it from outside the transom.

After looking at your picture I am wondering if you have the flange mount and pulled the motor bolts by mistake and didn't get it all. Look for separate bolts on a flange.

Good Luck.
 

whtlbck74

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 21, 2012
Messages
10
Re: Can someone help identify part number???

Well yes. I did remove the motor without the reservoir. So I am going to replace the whole unit. It came on Friday. Just one question. What type of fluid should I put in the new reservoir?
 

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Joined
Nov 5, 2008
Messages
4,603
Re: Can someone help identify part number???

Well yes. I did remove the motor without the reservoir.

so there's that mystery solved. The motor removed is the trim motor, not the tilt motor.
Tilt has no reservoir attached to it. Tilt is the system that swings the drive up for trailering.

any light oil, such as hydraulic (jack) oil (ISO 22 or 32 viscosity), 10W engine oil, or a light winter engine oil like 0W30 would be good in the selectrim reservoir attached to that motor.
 

cr2k

Captain
Joined
Mar 19, 2009
Messages
3,730
Re: Can someone help identify part number???

With the minimal information you gave I was assuming by the year it was a stringer mount.
 
Top