can I water ski?

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander
Re: can I water ski?

The picture below is a waterlogged 15ft fiberglass hull with a 1969 E-rude pulling a 190lb man from a deep water start on 2 skis. I've also slalom started (with difficulty) from the water behind that boat. Don't forget the adult driver + spotter in the boat.<br /><br />I'm not sure what a Kingfisher is, but I'd be thinking that 75hp on a quick planing boat will do just fine if propped appropriately. Depends on what type of adventure you're looking for.<br /><br />My 2 cents.<br /><br />
ski.jpg

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

I was pulled for 20 years behind dad's 16 foot Crestliner with a 70hp outboard.
...and boy are my arms tired!!!<br /><br />I learned behind a 17' starcraft with a 35hp Merc when I was 10 or so.

garzaglass

Seaman

thanks for all your replies and help. i dont know how else to describe the boat other than its 16' length fiberglass hull. it doesnt have a deep v hule but it does have a decent v underneath that starts at the front and goes about half way back. hey sangerwaker, whats a boom and how does this help with skiing? hey dorelse, My wife and I had the same concerns but we feel if we take every saftey precaution our 5 yr old should be ok. he is an excellent swimmer and we got him a new life vest at walmart this year that has both a zipper and clips,is easier to wear, and has bright yellow on it for visiblity. its one of those new ones that feel like gel. we also bought trainer skis for him. it has a double handel on it so the observer in the boat can hold on to the other end. that way if the child falls the observer just lets go. nothing is tied to the boat. i think thats a great idea. I have been looking for a tube I can ride on with our boy. where did you get yours? I want one I can sit on and not have to be on my belly holding on to the rope! that tires me too quickly.

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by garzaglass:<br /> thanks for all your replies and help. i dont know how else to describe the boat other than its 16' length fiberglass hull. it doesnt have a deep v hule but it does have a decent v underneath that starts at the front and goes about half way back. hey sangerwaker, whats a boom and how does this help with skiing? hey dorelse, My wife and I had the same concerns but we feel if we take every saftey precaution our 5 yr old should be ok. he is an excellent swimmer and we got him a new life vest at walmart this year that has both a zipper and clips,is easier to wear, and has bright yellow on it for visiblity. its one of those new ones that feel like gel. we also bought trainer skis for him. it has a double handel on it so the observer in the boat can hold on to the other end. that way if the child falls the observer just lets go. nothing is tied to the boat. i think thats a great idea. I have been looking for a tube I can ride on with our boy. where did you get yours? I want one I can sit on and not have to be on my belly holding on to the rope! that tires me too quickly.
Actually, we're going to start teaching my son to waterski with that exact setup! My son actually asked my wife (his Mom) if he could 'Please, Please, Please' start to learn this summer, and she gave in! So, we're going to use the double handle setup with with trainers as well. <br /><br />My concern has always been with the 'What if the life jacket slips off'. But if we add a strap underneath the legs, it won't slip off, so we're good. He's so skinny that there's not a lot to hold it on in fall..that's my concern with him.<br /><br />Regardless, not trying to preach, sounds like you've got it well thought out.<br /><br />A Boom, is basically a pole that sticks out to the side of the boat that a skier can hang on to. I've seen some that have a rope & handle setup that they can hold onto that can be let out so that they end up sking behind the boat as normal. In some respects its a way for a skier to get a running start. The boom will support their weight so they can hold on as tight as they want. You see a lot of barefoot skiers start out this way.<br /><br />Here's the tube I use...we really enjoy it. The rope attaches to the tube, has an inflated floor so its pretty comfortable as well as handles for each of you. Its a lot of fun and tracks the boat well so the kids aren't flying 100mph out to the side. Our other tube is for that!<br /><br /> Airhead Rip II Steerable Tube

Straightup

Petty Officer 1st Class

My Uncle has a 28 foot pontoon with a mid 70's 70 'Rude on it. We've pulled up 2 skiers on 2 skis numerous times. The skiers averaged about 150 pounds ea. My cousin tried to get up on 1 ski, but was not successful but he was not very experienced. I am quite sure it would have pulled me up on 1 ski (about 150 lbs) no problem, but my uncle is kind of a hot head and 1 missed try would have unleashed a torrent of $%#$&#*# and he was a little miffed at many tries with my cousin.<br /><br />A boom is a long pole sticking right out from the side of the boat at about from the middle of the boat. I had a buddy that skied professionally (he's barefooted front and back-wards behind every boat I've ever owned) who had and older boat and he just went to the steel supplier and got a tube and screwed it down with a couple of clamps right on top of the sidewalls (like I said, it was an OLD boat). I'd say the pole is about 15 to 20 feet long, but the pro's will know exactly. Then put a rope from the end of the pole (the one out on the lake side) going to your hook ring on your bow. Now it is secure. My pro ski buddy taught LOTS of kids to ski with that rig. The most handy part of the whole thing is the miles saved. Beginners wipe out a lot and with the boom rather than having to go around and have them get the rope, you just chop the throttle when you know they are going to loose it. Then you just back up a few feet and you are ready to try again. The boom offers more support than the rope too - much more rigid. My buddy always had the boom sticking out the drivers side of the boat so he could talk the kids through as they were learning and see what was happening best.<br /><br />Jeff

garzaglass

Seaman

thanks for the reply dorelse. I have been looking at that tube to buy. can you sit in that one on your butt or do you always have to ride on your knees? Im asking cause I was wanting something I could sit on and face the boat. on a tube a friend of mine had I tried that and it just doesnt work out besides shooting water up your butt!

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

Hmm...You could potentially sit down if you crossed your legs...but it would be very difficult to steer that way, and I don't think would be very comfortable.<br /><br />I'm on my knees the entire time, no water up any place it shouldn't be. I like this one because I can steer it to keep it in the wake for a smooth ride<br /><br />Sportstuff has lots of 2 person tubes you can sit on...just check them out here on iBoats.

James B

Cadet

Until we bought a new boat last year I skied behind our 16-foot tri-hull with a Force 85, yes a Force. I may be incorrect, but I believe the Force HP ratings are inflated about 30%, so I guess that would make it a 60HP? <br /><br />I weigh 240 lbs. Deep water starts on two skis were not a problem. I think you will be OK.

sangerwaker

Commander

I'd say the pole is about 15 to 20 feet long
A boom would never work if it were that long. They stick out 5-6' beyond the outside of the boat.

Straightup

Petty Officer 1st Class

True sanger. I was recalling from 20 years ago hehe. The torque from a skier 20 feet out of the side of a boat would be so much that the boat couldn't go straight...