Can I get your opinions please.

chrismarion

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am in the process of creating my list of items I will be purchasing to rebuild my boat with. Most ideas I have come up with over the fishing seasons and some I got from new boats. I just would like some opinions since I am sure some of you have used, have, or discarded for certain reasons. For infromational purposes, boat use is primarily salt water. Here is a link to view pictures I have drawn of what I want it to look like when I am done. I am not an expert designer or artist. Forgive me for it being dirty. It is currently stored at my grandfathers house and the cover tore letting in rain water. I love cleaning it again.
http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b207/JChrisMarion/My Boat/

*These are the things that I am wondering about most often, if they are a good idea or not.*

Lighting Interior: I decided that I would like to be able to try night fishing more around bridges and inlets. I thought about having small LED lights to light up the deck. Like round block style or small rope style to accent the interior either white or maybe red. I figure LED will last longer with Salt and low power consumption.

Exterior Nav Lights: I currently have your traditional bi-color Nav light mounted on the bow, which gets in my way when I am moving around landing a fish. Catch with toe, maybe fall, you've probably done this yourself to. I thought about the hull mounted lights on each side, but was wondering pro's/con's compared to the standard Nav Light.

Baitwell: I am going to put in a new baitwell also, plumbing to the tank is covered. For waste water extraction I currently have a pump to pull out water also and push out the back at the transom. Was thinking to change this to maybe the side of the boat. I would like gravity extraction, but I wont be high enough off the water for flats fishing. Unless someone has another good idea.

Center Console: I am going to get a smaller center console. Just a basic one, I dont like the room I lost when I put this one in. Granted I will still have my inhull tank in the same basic location under the console, but I will have to move my batteries to the rear with a smaller console. Will I still have good weight distribution? Currently running three batteries. I will have a trolling motor up front.

Deck: Per my drawings you can see the difference of the way it is now versus how I want to raise the front deck flush and a flush rear deck. With a sunk-in floor. I also want to add in a walk around style deck to it on the sides like the newer flats boats.

chrismarion

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Can I get your opinions please.

Went to Bass Pro today since it was the only boat place open. Saw a couple things I would like to use. Has anyone ever used Tempress Products? Saw a few access panels and such. Looked online for more options.
http://www.tempress.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=10&products_id=44730

They make liners that drop down into the hatch to hold everything so you can take out the liner. Or do you think that it would be better to not use the liner? I also found on their site the tackle box storage hatch's I was trying to find. I knew some company had to make them and sell to the public.
http://www.tempress.com/product_info.php?products_id=44380

I am trying to think of other ways for hatch's and storage that wont consist of wood. To help keep it light and no rot. I thought about making fiber glass storage areas under the deck, but I dont think its gonna be easy to make them.

robthompson66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I like the Tempress products, I used a tempress cam hatch on an in-floor cooler in my boat and it is holding up nicely. I bought it on ebay from the Great Lakes Skipper store, their prices are good and they ship fast.

Driven1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Meant to leave you a commment last week. Finally getting around to it. Last year, I'd been doing some reading up on crappie fishing in PA and stumbled across a couple of ideas related to night fishing. On our ensuing weekend of fishing at Bald Eagle State park, the wife and I tried 'em.

The 1st was the use of flourescent blacklights. I tell ya. things look a little wierd using them but they work really well for night fishing. You can still see what you're doing and the light doesn't mess with your night vision. Secondly, and the coolest part, is that if you're using flourescent fishing line, under blacklight it does just that! The line is really bright and it's easy to see what you're doing or see a bite.

The second thing we tried turned out to be a blast. We were anchored and fishing under a bridge about 30 feet from another boat who was fishing also and were in about 30 ft. of water. We sat there in the blacklight watching our lines for about 30 mins. with not much happening. It was time to haul out the second idea. Turned out to be a secret weapon! Prior to the trip, I installed a headlight into a piece of styrofoam big enough to float it and connected wires up to the high-beam.

So, I dropped it over the side and connected it to my trolling batteries. Not one minute had passed and we started getting fish left and right. It was rediculous, we could barely keep our lines in the water! Caught Crappie, Perch, Bass, Bullheads, and channel cats. The guys in the other boat still weren't catching anything. Just to be sure, I disconnected the light. Within 5 minutes, no hits again. Turned it back on. Wham! The guys in the other boat got so irritated that they pulled anchor and left! We had a blast for about 2 hours out under that bridge. Got so tired of hauling in fish that we gave it up, loaded the boat and went back to camp. I'll never forget that night! I'll be incorporating both of those features into my MFG Tri-hull. I'm also looking into a way to install the headlights (or something else that'll do the job) right into the hull itself.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have used this console on 2 boats, works extremely well. http://www.toddusa.com/productdetails.aspx?id=38&f=4

there is a new trend in fishing boats that i have seen, to get the load more forward on flats boats, they are moving the console forward, i would place this console flush, butted up to the front deck. this move your weight forward, countering the stern weight to get to shallower places.

chrismarion

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I do like that console alot! I am also suprised at its size compared to cost, they must be proud of that one.

On weight distribution, right now on my current setup the batteries are in the console and my 16.5GAL fuel cell is mounted to the hull/stringers under the console to offset the motor weight. I can drift/pole in 11 inches of water, which I dont think is to bad for this boat. Being its not made of 100% fiberglass and foam like the new boats. I do plan on using three times the amount of foam that is currently in it. Currently there is only foam in the front, transom corners and the 4lb liquid foam I added when I put the new fuel cell in around it.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

What's the reason you want to put in more foam?

zach103

Commander

i think he wants it so that the boat wont sit as low in the water so he can go thru more shallow water.. but a foot is pretty shallow.

thats my guess

oops!

Supreme Mariner

more foam on the inside wont change the draft one little bit....if any thing make it lower in the water.....the foam is only there to rot the stringers and in case of swamo....to leave the hull floating so survivors have somthing to cling to

zach103

Commander

i take my comment back then