Can I fix the Silver Lining Again, or OOOPPPSSS I dropped my 18' SS

SigSaurP229

Commander
Had an Accident while swapping trailers. Was using a 5000lb rated strap to hoist the boat it broke.

When it broke the weight shifted all onto the back corner, bent the crap out of everything. I had it strapped so that it wouldn't possibly fall off of the excavator, and probably the only thing that stopped from being crushed was the new transom and the Stainless steel backer plates.

Anyways tell me what you all think did I warp the hull? Can I fix it?

SigSaurP229

Commander
Re: Can I fix the Silver Lining Again, or OOOPPPSSS I dropped my 18' SS

Was going something like this playing trailer swaps didn't want to use chains on the SS because I didn't want to mar the paint job.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

oh man Sig, that must have been a horrifying experience :eek:

I think we need some lower-mag images to determine whether or not there's any larger-scale damage.

to me, it seems local to the port-aft corner.

it may need some persuasion...and possibly braces...to get it back in place.

did any of the transom bolts shear/distort?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

AW Sig. I blame the glasser. I don't like the looks of the port corner. It seems the hull and gunnel are shifted apart by an inch or more. And are some of the screws holding the splashwell to the transom wood sheared? Have you looked under the S/W yet? Maybe the S/W took the brunt of the hit.

SigSaurP229

Commander

Blue,

I pulled the motor before lifting so there really wasn't much to much weight there on it.

Underneath she seems ok, on the side there is a very slight concave to it most of the damage is centered around the port aft corner you are correct.

Underneath she is ok she didn't hit anything but the strap.

None of the transom bolts sheared or distorted.

Yes it was horrifying since I've been a grown man, I've cried only once the day they put my granddad in the ground.

I almost cried when I saw it.

Actually Ga I got luck with the splashwell it hadn't been screwed to the transom yet I was going to do it when I mounted the fuel tank so I would have room to fudge a little if I needed. The aluminum trim piece on the transom had not yet been fastened either. I am kind of hoping that the splaswell took the brunt of the hit and warped it a bit that I can use a strap to pull it back in place, and rerivet it.

Again I had the strap secured to the transom hook, which has the 1/4 SS backer pad on it. It didn't even dent the plywood in the transom.

Last edited:

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Oh man.........that had to be a devastating experience. Hopefully the pics look worse than the real damage. But it does look like she could come back together. Wish you the best on that. I agree, it had to be the glasser revenge.

SigSaurP229

Commander

Since we are blaming the glasser it shall be crushed with the very same excavator.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

From what little I can see in the pics, it looks some minor contact damage but what your worried about is induced damage to the hull. I don't see how it could have hit on a stern corner (the strongest area) and caused much if any real damage by the way of warping the hull or ruining the boat. The transom would have done it's job and absorbed most of the impact. Worst thing I can see is the transom cover is tweaked.

Dang I bet your heart sunk a mile deep.

GA_Boater

Sig - You can tear up some, none of us would blame you. You have a lot of work, time and bucks in her.

I was concerned when I saw the S/W flange was separated, but not fastened could have allowed it to flex. And looking at her again, it looks like the port gunnel cover may have shifted to the right. Hoping that's all it is. Are there any wrinkles in the gunnel near the kink in the rub rail channel? In the third pic in post #1, is that kink in the rub rail channel?

SigSaurP229

Commander

Yes Ga, that kink is in the rubrail channel.

There are no wrinkles or creases anywhere in the hull.

No wrinkles or creases anywhere in the gunnel either.

The rivets holding the splashwell into place broke and it appears to have ripped the bolts holding the rubrail channell out as well.

There was a big dent in the side of the hull, however when I got the tension off the strap I smacked it with my palm and it all popped back into place.

GA_Boater

Did you get the SS on the new trailer?

Maybe it's just the top cover, splashwell and rub rail that got flexed. That shouldn't be too bad to put back together.

I guess you could string the sides of the hull from the stern forward and measure from the string to the hull to see if the hull got tweaked.

SigSaurP229

Commander

Did you get the SS on the new trailer?

Maybe it's just the top cover, splashwell and rub rail that got flexed. That shouldn't be too bad to put back together.

I guess you could string the sides of the hull from the stern forward and measure from the string to the hull to see if the hull got tweaked.

Nope it happened as we were lifting off of the old trailer I didn't have the stomach to start the move after that happened.

GA_Boater

That's the bad thing then. You still have to finish the swap. :eek:

Did the stitching fail on the strap or did the webbing break?

SigSaurP229

Commander

That's the bad thing then. You still have to finish the swap. :eek:

Did the stitching fail on the strap or did the webbing break?

Stitching failed and on a brand new strap. I had chains I could have used but didn't want to risk the paint I guess I should have went with the chains.

I think next time I am not going to try to lift the whole boat (not what I wanted to do anyways). Going to use two chains on the transom hooks lift back end up first and move it onto the trailer right next to the old trailer, unhook and hook to the bow eye rehook and move the front end over that way at all times the hull is supported from the bottom.

I wanted to it this way from the start, the excavator operator wanted to build a cradle out of straps.

GA_Boater

That hurts with a new strap.

You can move the boat from the old trailer to the new one a little differently. Take the winch post off the old trailer, put the new trailer in front of the old one and winch the boat over the tongue of the old one on to the new. You might have to take the jack off and block the tongue on the old trailer. Think about it, but no lifting,

SigSaurP229

Commander

Ga you are a genius not sure why i didn't think of that

jbcurt00

Staff member

Dude, that sucks.....
{explicatives in lieu of tears is also acceptable**:faint2:

That hurts with a new strap.

You can move the boat from the old trailer to the new one a little differently. Take the winch post off the old trailer, put the new trailer in front of the old one and winch the boat over the tongue of the old one on to the new. You might have to take the jack off and block the tongue on the old trailer. Think about it, but no lifting,

Yep, that's exactly how I got the Duracraft off the carp trailer the seller had it on and onto my Galv, 1 size too big, trailer it's on now... Worked PERFECTLY.

Drop the old trailer tongue as low as you can, and walk the new trailer (with tongue held HIGH) up over the tongue as far back towards the boat as possible. I had to put a little weight on the new trailer tongue to get it attached to my hitch before I started winching the boat on to it. It slightly lifted the bow of the boat w/ it's bunks, which helped clear the rear frame rail on the trailer, until the boat got up onto the trailer bunks.

GA_Boater

No genius here, Sig. But I have read about it here several times. It just made sense. And it worked for JB. :D

Cloudrnnr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Doood! Major suckage. I'm a newbie, but betting the fact that things were disconnected allowed for flex without breakage.

I know that sick feeling exactly...anyone know a really good RV glass and paint guy in the NW?

Best of luck on the fix. With your caliber of work she'll be right quickly!

jbcurt00

Staff member

And it worked for JB. :D
That's ^^^ not a guarantee of success:facepalm:

Your results may vary.........:watermelon: