Can a car with Deactivated Northstar be tracked?

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander
My mother called a few minutes ago an said that her neighbors (83 yrs old)were just beaten and robbed at gunpoint! The men were posing as potential buyers of the Caddilac they had for sale. They grabbed the wife by the throat and put a gun to her chest and made her husband search for the title, then they threw them in the bathroom and threatend to kill them if they got up or called the police. They did call of course but a few minutes later the theives called THEM and said they were coming back to kill them!

There's a special he11 for people like this.

When the cops arrived they asked if they had OnStar (thanks Bob) on the Caddy and they did, but it had been deactivated. Is there no way for them to track a car with it even if it's off? I'm not familiar with the system. Be a good way to nail these turds.

The news just posted the story while I was typing this.

The woman, who was outside at the start of the attack, screamed for my mother but she did not hear her. My step-father even saw the car drive off. All this and every cop/car/chopper in DeSoto County and they're still loose!

Could have been a LOT worse I guess. Still, should have never happened.

spots

75boater

Cadet
Re: Can a car with Deactivated Northstar be tracked?

yes it can be tracked however for a fee. the northstar has to be activated in order to track it... thats what they will tell you anyways... i had a 1966 chevelle ss 396 valued at close to 60k stolen out of my garage about 2 years ago... i had put lo jack on it due to the theving basdards who want the car... my insurance company actually recomended it...anyways i thought id never see the car again cause i had not paid the lo jack bill in like 3 months and it wasnt active... well i paid the bill and it was activated they found the car 6 blocks, yes six blocks from my house in a garage! and put both the **** heads in jail... i sued them and won for damage to my door of the house and then th4e state took over and pressed criminal charges... so in a long round about way yes it can be activated to find the car... it is run off a satilite system... only takes a few minutes actually! ya know i dont understand whats so hard about going out and getting a job or even two to buy the things ya want in life! i did it and so many other do every day... they were lucky the cops got em before me for sure! also , even if the northstar has been de activated from indside the wiring harness there is a trcking device that cannot be deactivated...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Do you mean On Star?

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

i had a 1966 chevelle ss 396 valued at close to 60k stolen out of my garage about 2 years ago...

'66 SS...nice...man I can't imagine how sick it made you feel when it was gone. But at least you found it. Got a pic we can see?

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

My bad, It's OnStar. Thanks Bob, dunno where I got Northstar from:confused:

spots

i386

Captain

Northstar is the type of V8 engines in Cadillacs. I hope they find it and give those guys what they have coming.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Contact On Star customer service and they can give an absolute answer...... have your VIN ready.

75boater

Cadet

here she is about 5 years ago... love this car like its my child... my father had bought one brand new in 66 and it was totalled by a drunk driver in front of his house... 30 years later i saved my money and bought him this one after about 3.5 years of work and alot of money here she is... my father passed away about a year ago and so now the car has so much more meaning!

Attachments

• 66chev01.jpg
    66chev01.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 0

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

What a beautiful car, and what a great thing you did for your Dad. Thanks for posting the pic.

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Can a car with Deactivated OnStar be tracked? UPDATE

Caught 'em!!

They made it all they way to Florida.

Turns out that the victims offered them a glass of water before the robbery that the police were able to pull prints from. This helped identify them.

Hang 'em high!

spots

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Cool....Some good news. :)

aspeck

Staff member

Turns out that the victims offered them a glass of water before the robbery that the police were able to pull prints from. This helped identify them.

How much more "CSI" can you get! Offer 'em water to get their finger prints! Did they lift DNA from the glass also? HA!

Glad they are cuffed and stuffed! As it should be!

ob

Admiral

Since law enforcement was able to track them down via fingerprints,seems these fine citizens have been cuffed and stuffed before.They'll be back in business in no time.The bottom feeding urchin that stole my wifes Subaru a couple of years ago was MO'd by the local police as 'usually' stealing Dodge Neons.When my wifes car was recovered,they told me that it wouldn't do much good to sue the scum sucking 35 year old protozoa for the several damaged items on the vehicle ,cause he lived with his mom and dad in Goverment housing and they had no money or control over their deformed offspring.A real tear jerker.Maybe the authorities should implant an onstar chip in the craniums of all of these car thieving addicts,complete with a shocking feature. :cool:

SuperNova

Lieutenant

I just wanted to clear up two misconceptions about Onstar in here.
1- It's not satelite based; it works off the same principal as your cell phone. The early versions were analog(same as early cellphones) and have been replaced by digital format ones(same as current cellphones). At the end of '07 the analog system will be shut down and if you don't or can't upgrade your vehicle's Onstar system, you will not be able to use it anymore.

2-The Onstar in your vehicle is always active, even if you don't have an account(try pressing the blue button, you will call Onstar and be able to talk to them) When you activate an account, it's all on their end, putting your information( consisting primarily of "Bill Paid") in their computer base. So while your vehicle theoretically could be traced, you and Onstar don't have enough information to identify your vehicle unless someone in the car initiates the call by pressing the blue button or the account has been set up.
--
Stan

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Glad they caught the scum!!