Heat exchanger

paulrfrancisco

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can the Heat exchanger on a FWC cooling systems be rebuilt? I'm anticipating that mine will start leaking soon.... should take care of it before launching her this spring.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Heat exchanger

Why do you think it will leak? Pressure test it.....They are not really repairable.....If it has an internal leak, then it most likely full of crud....Replace it....JK

paulrfrancisco

Petty Officer 1st Class

The end caps are looking a little coroded.. not leaking yet, but i'd prefer to do a little PM than get stuck out in the ocean somewhere...

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Keep an eye on the coolant level....If you need to add, you have a leak.....You should have enough warning time if there is a leak.....I really doubt that it will just blow.....JK

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The end caps do start seaping if the gasket is reused. Might just replace the gaskets, repaint the heat exchanger and keep an eye on it.<br />I see the green corrosion around almost every one up here.

paulrfrancisco

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thats the answer I'm looking for.. So there are gaskets that can be bought. So another question... Are the caps held on buy only a single long threaded rod through the whole heat exchanger, or are they studs?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Depends on the manufacturer of the heat exchanger, there are several ya know.<br />Many just have a bolt holding the end cap on. None that I know of are thru bolted.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What Don said. Also be aware that if your end caps have corrosion at the gasket surface, they also can be ordered seperately. Your Merc dealer should have or be able to order the parts. You will need to give them your engine serial number and what drive you have (there were a few different heat exchangers, depending on the drive or transmission).

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

Paul, if you are concerned about the general condition of your heat exchanger than slip it out, pull it down and take it to your nearest engine shop and ask them to put the whole lot, bolts and all in their hot tank. Pick it up and pay the money owing, (won't be much). Have a good look at the mating surfaces now that they are clean and free from corrosion If they look ok than re assemble it with new gaskets, and than take it to a radiator repair shop get it pressure tested, this is the important bit. After the chemical cleaning, if there are area’s that were "about to leak" than the chemical clean will expose them. If it all comes up ok than give it a fresh coat of paint, a new cap and some new stainless clamps and you’re back on the water and comfortable with the knowledge that the heat exchanger is not gunna let you down any time soon.