Camping and Boating

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Camping and Boating

To the OP maybe a compromise - sell the boat you have now and buy a sweet tri-toon then my original answer still makes sense. Not as sleek and fancy as a glittery bass boat but it'll get the job done.

understood and suggestion appreciated .... we travel across the country about 6 months a year in our camper so as long as we are physically able to manage it, it or another like it will be part of our lives .... once age forces us off the road, we hope to take it and park it on a permanent site somewhere near the NC coast .... we hope then to be able to tow our boat and use it down there

Jim

Vegas Naturist

Petty Officer 3rd Class

We boat camp all the time on Lake Mohave. We have a 20' bowrider and stow all the camping gear we need in the bow, head to our favorite cove, and have a blast. We don't need no stinkin' tent, we sleep on the boat. We basically just pack a camp kitchen, porta-potty, and enough food and refreshments for our trip.

RV's and all? Softies... :p

John

ziggy

Admiral

me and my sweety camped out as often as possible (which isn't often enough imho). we don't have any rv or camper so the boat is a must go.
we've tent camped on the banks of the Missouri river. to boat camping (my term for what we do) at the local watering hole (which is more usual). we sometimes take a tent and do the full camping out thing. or, generally. we make a short (18-24hrs) trip and just sleep on the boat. usually try to moor close by the van. assuming we can get that spot. the van has 110v so we can have coffee in the morning. got us a little camp stove to burn some dinner and breakfast on and this works well...
033-1.jpg

this was last weekend. the 'ol lady has done camped out early. the back to back seats in my boat fold out into beds. as for any adverse conditions (like last weekends 47*F over night lows).
032-1.jpg

the aft curtain gets deploied with the hardtop boat to go full enclosed.. we've been rained on and still continue boating and camping... :D

shwoop_soobie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

we typically truck camp on the shore and just keep the boat beached and use it for day trips, but we have loaded the boat with camping stuff and set out. i think the latter is more fun. although my boat is pretty small so we can only bring a couple hundred pounds of stuff, but that is plenty for a cooler, tent, a few cans of gas and a whole lot of adventure. but if we do longer trips (3-10 days) we just camp from the truck due to the need for lots of fuel, lots of food/beverages, and an extra comfy place to sleep for that long.

Vegas Naturist

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the aft curtain gets deployed with the hardtop boat to go full enclosed.. we've been rained on and still continue boating and camping... :D

Nice set-up! When it rains (not often here in SoNV) we just get wet. No big deal because we've figured out a way to keep all our clothes dry...;)

barrenboating

Recruit

we love camping and boating, we pack the boat with what ever we need then head out on the lake, find a nice secluded spot to pull into and set up camp. usually spend the whole weekend out there, only way in is by boat so don't have others bothering us, lots of fun

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

We started with the Galactica (F-250) and a Lance Camper, knowing that we would want to tow stuff behind it. Now that we have the Pontoon with full camper enclosure, we're asking ourselves why we bring the Lance...until we look at the A/C unit on the roof! So for quick weekends, we'll just take the boat, and sleep on it, but for longer trips (like a week at Lake Powell), or during really hot times, we'll take both.

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Right now I just have my little 14' tinnie and a tent, so we do tent camping and pull the boat up onshore or put it on the trailer at night. When I get the Chieftain up and going I won't need the tent anymore! :D
Ideally I'd like to find an older van cab RV to pull the Chieftain so we could have one couple in the boat and another couple or two in the RV.

TJDave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We have gone from tent to slide-in truck camper, and now motorhome. IMO, the slide-in is ideal for camping when you have to launch and retrieve the boat on a daily basis. But, we outgrew it. With the motorhome, unless a second tow rig is available, we have to camp where we can keep the boat in the water for the entire trip. But, that also makes it easier to hop in the boat and go at any time.

DSCN0268.jpg

1312761391.jpg

Maclin

Admiral

I have slept in my cuddy on the trailer at a campsite a couple of times while the kids and other relatives went to their tents or RV's. This was on a lake that does not allow overniting on a boat. It was kind of stuffy, the site had electricity so I borrowed a fan... :)

I found a camping blog where the couple used their cuddy as the camper while touring, sometimes at camping only sites. Interesting to follow.

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

This was on a lake that does not allow overniting on a boat.

What kind of communist lake is that???

I'm wondering about if I could get a 12V ceiling fan to install in my boat.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

we have owned two boats with a cuddy cabin .... we tried several times to sleep in them during the summer and found the hot lake water and the humidity created pretty miserable sleeping conditions .... I wish we had of been able to overcome those issues .... I well remember sitting on the back deck before daylight listening to the fishing boats moving down the lake .... a little later when we would fire up the grill and cook some bacon, the smell ofter generated comments from guys within earshot who couldn't wait for the sun to come up ..:D

Jim