Camping and Boating

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer
how many folks combine camping and boating/fishing .... for us they go together as a perfect match .... at first we took our tent and boat to local lakes where we built many happy family memories .... later we bought a pickup slide in camper so that we could also tow our boat .... now we have a 5th wheel camper which makes it more complicated to combine camping and boating .... because NC doesn't allow double towing, we now have to use two tow vehicles .... at today's fuel prices, that can get expensive .... all that being said, to us the memories we come home with are more than worth the expense

Jim

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Camping and Boating

Sounds like you need a big ol cuddy cabin, or a pontoon w/ a camper enclosure. :)

boaterinsd

Petty Officer 1st Class

or move to a state that allows it. So what happens when i am doubled and traveling and might go through NC, by chance??

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like you need a big ol cuddy cabin, or a pontoon w/ a camper enclosure. :)

we had a big old been to the Bahamas twice cuddy and thoroughly enjoyed it .... actually towed it from NC to SD three times and on the way covered a 150 miles (300 miles round trip) on the Mississippi .... we really enjoyed that boat but it wasn't much of a fresh water fishing boat (bass or crappie) and all that remains of it is memories .... have always wanted a pontoon but the Admiral in our house has vetoed another boat acquisition for the foreseeable future

Jim

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

So what happens when i am doubled and traveling and might go through NC, by chance??

depends on what cop sees you .... for most, not a problem but others seem to take a special interest .... in May we were on our way to SD towing a golf cart behind our 5er .... we made it to about thirty miles south of the VA line when we were pulled by one of NC's finest :rolleyes:.... we had to call back home and have our daughter drive up to take the golf cart back home .... the alternative was a heavy ticket .... for an out of state vehicle, he told me the ticket would have been automatic and it would have been up to the driver to get his trailers out of the state one at a time

Jim

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Do it all the time, we have a truck camper, great for the wife and I and we get to boot the kids into tents which can't be a bad thing, of course my youngest is 16 so take it for what you will.

Were probably going to upgrade to a motorhome in the next few years though, it will be nice to have some of the creature comforts of home.

As to what will NC do to you if you double? your likely to get a ticket and park one of your trailers, but I doubt they will let you continue on that way.

eng208

Seaman

We do it. I have to tow one to the campground, then go get the other. Fortunately, one of the best campgrounds in the state is only 35 miles away from the house.

RedMan1973

Cadet

I like my tent, so we drag the boat and fill up the bed with everything we need. If we cannot fit it in one trip then it is not that important IMO. I am also one that likes to rough it so tents is about as modern as I get besides my boat.

emoney

Commander

I like to camp in hotels. It's rough sometimes, but I can take the boat without being worried about getting a ticket. Once we even stayed in a hotel that didn't offer free breakfast. Somebody's got to do it.

Pa mountain man

Seaman Apprentice

Wouldn't think about going camping without my bass boat. We get a RV site with electric and water hookups and pitch the tent on the side. Need the electric for the trolling motor charger/fridge/coffee pot/ect.

Mason78

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am thinking about purchasing a truck bed tent. Not as luxurious as a camper but it will get me off the ground. Slight upgrade over a standard tent.

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

Don't know where you go, but I have camped at Jordan and Falls many times. We tent, but some of the folks we like to camp with use campers. They are stuck with two tow vehicles. Plenty of good lake camping pretty close to home.

Boats-A-lots

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your in the same "boat" we are. I can't see going camping (normally on the coast for us) unless we have out boat. So, I tow the 5th wheel with our GMC dually, and my wife tows the boat with our Hummer H2. Round trip for us is about 200 miles, and gas between the truck, Hummer and boat.. yeah.. we sink about $250, to $300 just in gas. When we go, we stay longer though. Instead of just week end trips, we try and stay 4 or 5 days. We just go less.

I would much rather give the extra money to the local campgrounds and stay longer, then do shorter trips and feed the greed of the gas companies.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

Don't know where you go, but I have camped at Jordan and Falls many times. We tent, but some of the folks we like to camp with use campers. They are stuck with two tow vehicles. Plenty of good lake camping pretty close to home.

we've camped at both but know Jordan better .... another issue with taking our camper instead of a tent is getting a site near the water

Jim

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

We used to tent camp and the boat was great for stowing the camping items on the journey or go to the cottage with the boat. Cottage is 5.5 hours away so difficult for regular weekends.Kids grew up and Mrs Ken and I got soft. We have a 26ft travel trailer on a seasonal lot and the boat in a seasonal dock 2 hours from home. There every spare minute we can and still have the option of dragging the travel trailer elsewhere if we choose. The kids and husbands / wives/ buddies / significant others show up as and when their schedules allow. We have a large tent for any overspill accomodation when needed.
Works for us.

robert graham

Admiral

I bought a big jon boat, built a 7'X8' wooden deck on front to pitch tent...pretty nice rig, and we camp anywhere we drop anchor!;)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

grew up camping/boating. 4x4 with truck camper pulling the boats. after a while, Dad sold the camper and we continued with tents.

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

we've camped at both but know Jordan better .... another issue with taking our camper instead of a tent is getting a site near the water

Jim

You need to plan ahead at both. We used to reserve our favorite spot for Memorial day at Jordan on January 1.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

I like to camp in hotels.......Once we even stayed in a hotel that didn't offer free breakfast.

OH THE HORROR!!!!!!! :D

To the OP maybe a compromise - sell the boat you have now and buy a sweet tri-toon then my original answer still makes sense. Not as sleek and fancy as a glittery bass boat but it'll get the job done.