calling all lake mead boaters! nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.

NO WHINERS

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: calling all lake mead boaters! nevada

Ok sounds good..Probably go this Saturday....Not sure about Memorial Day yet..Don"t usually do big weekends...How ever this year may be different as we just listed our Cali home for sale..If we sell soon will move into the Henderson house for a few months..Maybe we will be here Memorial Day...
That's right about Echo. You can still launch on a nice ramp, just bring your own fuel unless you're heading somewhere where they still have fuel docks. There are none now on the Overton Arm. Closest on the water would be Temple Bar. Have a great trip and hope the fish bite for ya.
See you out there Memorial Weekend?

fishrdan

Admiral

cool pict is right,,,, i have more i found!!View attachment 181849

Doesn't that pic look wired, like a model and almost fake? It's all too perfect and serene... It's just odd to see a whole fleet of what look to be 16' open fishing boats with tiller outboards moored out at Mead. I'm guessing from the 50's?

I agree with 12V, looks to be Echo at a real low water level.

I was looking at the Mead's historic water levels and it's incredible how fast Mead filled up...

1935 3-Feb 673.50', 31-Jul 928.45 = 235' of elevation gained
1936 10-Sep 1025.87 = 97' of elevation gained
1937 28-Jul 1102.88 = 77' of elevation gained
1938 29-Jul 1173.56 = 71' of elevation gained

It only took 4 years to go from empty to 40' above where we are at now! :eek:

QC

Supreme Mariner

I've studied the historical data a lot. It is amazing the highs and lows. The fact is, when they filled Mead, the needs of Las Vegas, Phoenix and LA along with the Imperial Valley were less. And, not to get political, we never cared much what was left for Mexico. Pretty easy to fill her up when those are the circumstances. It's more amazing to me to watch Powell fill. Wet years will return.

The pic looked fake to me as well, but I decided it was the scan and the glass. Very cool!!! Love it.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

i believe its the lake mead marina area,as i have been there many times. this was before and after shot as the water level shows,but still to low for any of us to remember.i bet bob bradley would know?As you stand at the marina facing outward you see this rock formation very real indeed to the right.I even caught fish off it many times fearing i was to close to the marina.Whether its fake or real i am able to believe thats how they kept the boats there in that time.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

calville train.jpg

This is the calvillle train?????????? still trying to figure this one out!!

fishrdan

Admiral

Whether its fake or real i am able to believe thats how they kept the boats there in that time.

Nah, just said it "looks" fake. I know it's real, but first glance at the picture looks like a model or something.

Have to do the "google earth flight mode confirm" where it's at, but you could very well be right.

sam60

Captain

:eek: That's doesn't sound fun :faint2: I have some wrenching to do too, so you're not alone.

I also forgot about a fuel pump voltage issue that arrived after I had the alternater rebuilt by a shop that I should have avoided. I got it re-mounted and the back was 180* off. I called them and they said it wasn't possible, so I sent them the before & after pics. They said OK, bring it back, we fix. I chose not to go back but it has more than reassembly issues. :facepalm:

The wrenching will need to start soon.

fishrdan

Admiral

I had the alternater rebuilt by a shop that I should have avoided.....bring it back, we fix.

:facepalm:

Been there, done that before :rolleyes:

Try DB Electric for a replacement "marine" alternator. I've been running one of their 1 wire 100 amp Delco alternators for 2-3 years and it's been working great, $60 or so. Only complaint I have about it is that I needed to re-clock the back case of the alternator,,, and couldn't get a socket on the 4 bolts. I had to smack the socket with a hammer to clearance the spark arrestor , so the socket would fit. (Made in China...) Not a biggie though.

fishrdan

Admiral

Wow is this what it looks like?

36 4.20, -114 47.31

The plane at the bottom of Lake Mead?

Looks like that plane is flying over Lake Mead.

The B29 used to be marked on google earth, but I don't see the markers anymore. I saw the buoy(s) and a boat moored on that spot on google Earth once, it's gone now. As 12V said, it's by the mouth of Overton arm way out in the middle of the lake. The buoy's were to keep people from dragging anchors across the plane, moor to the buoy, dive down and swim 1-200 yards over to the plane. The plane is in 300' of water, so you're not going to snorkel down to it :D

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

Well, only about 2460 hours till Memorial weekend! Anyone getting excited yet or is it just me :whoo: :D

Well, since there's little doubt Tbar will be going anywhere between now wnd then, unless we get hit by a meteor or something of course, :eek: I can do something at the trailer unless the beach is more in order. The trailer is a hike after the shuttle quits. My daughter can always shuttle also

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

Made it out on Sunday, great day on the lake....

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-MC6lUrbPyr0/USE95Iphx9I/AAAAAAAAra8/RnMe56f3GNA/s1101/2013-02-17_11-59-59_989.jpg

Water was cold, but Calville was empty, the Virgin Basin was calm, caught a couple of fish in the wash.

Hi chris,was wondering if you make it back to wash area again,could you take several photos of it,I am planning to go there in middle of march.The lake looked really nice that day you were there.Last time i was at calville i was the only boat on the water the whole morning.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

Well, only about 2460 hours till Memorial weekend! Anyone getting excited yet or is it just me :whoo: :D

Well, since there's little doubt Tbar will be going anywhere between now wnd then, unless we get hit by a meteor or something of course, :eek: I can do something at the trailer unless the beach is more in order. The trailer is a hike after the shuttle quits. My daughter can always shuttle also

Another marina closes down,,i miss echo marina already.I would be worried if i was at temple, i hope the lease there with forever resorts doesnt run out anytime soon.Then again its in arizona so maybe its a whole different thing there i hope.

NO WHINERS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Went to Echo Saturday...There were a few boats out but not many fish biting...They are in the process of repaving the main road near the camp grounds and new curb and gutter going in...Maybe something is in the works?? Nice day on the lake...

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

Pave us our road at goverment already,man it makes me mad when they waste money on things that dont matter.Like the new parking lot and ramp at calville that they let us use for one month then it turned into a ghost town lol.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

Goodness gracious, great Bowl of Fire!

487246_10151717012425828_214918636_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.