calling all lake mead boaters! nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander
Re: calling all lake mead boaters! nevada

Being that it is not very far from Temple Bar, I need to visit Bonelli Bay. I keep having this "sell the boat" thought in the back of my mind... until I see pics like these.

Exactly. I keep having this "go to work" thought until I see these:joyous:

QC

Supreme Mariner

Funny thing is I love going into Bonelli, but then once I'm down there it really kinda sucks. Usually still air and bugs. Almost swampy from there all around to the Narrows. Every once in a while a nice beach presents itself, but pretty rare not to have that stinky, oozy, yucky mud or rocks. Also, the whole bay is inside a speed zone now. I don't think there are buoys, but it is marked on the later maps as a Wildlife sumpin' or other. Clarity would be good on that as I am too lazy to look it up . . .

That is where I have ran into the horses more than once. For some reason they like that area. I guess kind of flat and easier for them to traverse to water.

fishrdan

Admiral

pretty rare not to have that stinky, oozy, yucky mud...

OK, fess up... How many of you guys have jumped off the bow and landed in knee-deep mud? Hmmm, that dried dirt wasn't so solid after all :laugh: It's one of those "only do it once" type things...

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

OK, fess up... How many of you guys have jumped off the bow and landed in knee-deep mud? Hmmm, that dried dirt wasn't so solid after all :laugh: It's one of those "only do it once" type things...

Lol,, more than once in the Gypsum Bays. Once on a stand up, and had to use it to pull me out! Funny thing is, there are a lot of nice sandy beaches there, but most are the quicksand/mud

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

Funny thing is I love going into Bonelli, but then once I'm down there it really kinda sucks. Usually still air and bugs. Almost swampy from there all around to the Narrows. Every once in a while a nice beach presents itself, but pretty rare not to have that stinky, oozy, yucky mud or rocks. Also, the whole bay is inside a speed zone now. I don't think there are buoys, but it is marked on the later maps as a Wildlife sumpin' or other. Clarity would be good on that as I am too lazy to look it up . . .

That is where I have ran into the horses more than once. For some reason they like that area. I guess kind of flat and easier for them to traverse to water.

I like going to Bonelli too. For us, it's one of places on Mead where the journey is sometimes nicer than the destination.

One of the first beaches we houseboated on was in that area, Secret Cove. The lake ele. perfectly created a small cove with a sandy peninsula where we were able to beach with an awesome protected view of the lake. To this day that remains one of my favorites. Bonelli can be a treacherous destination as well with all the reefs at various elevations.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

been there,, and the bigger you are the worst shape your in,dont even bother trying to get the flip flops back out of it either:laugh:

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

What are we looking at...

841044_10151685886450828_148522493_o.jpg

QC was right on. Beautiful Bonelli Bay. named after Daniel Bonelli. He ran a ferry at the junction of the Virgin and Colorado Rivers.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I was pretty sure we were looking through the Gypsum Reef area and up towards East Point. Here is a link I just found re: Daniel Bonelli:

Bonelli's Landing

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

I was pretty sure we were looking through the Gypsum Reef area and up towards East Point. Here is a link I just found re: Daniel Bonelli:

Bonelli's Landing

A pretty amazing guy, really. He came over from Switzerland on a boat where he met his future wife. Fluent in 4 languages. Started settlements, then over again after they were flooded out, among many other attributes. And he lived to a ripe old age of 68! I can see why they named a bay after him.

It's interesting to hear all the names of towns, rivers, bays, etc. we know today in those stories like Callville, Bonelli, Overton, White Hills, etc..

Boy, between Mouse and Queho you really had to be careful who you invited in your camp. :eek:

QC

Supreme Mariner

And "fluent" in four languages. I always find that amazing, but I guess it's the way it is in Switzerland as they are officially German, French and Italian as is. No wonder they stay neutral!

Boy, between Mouse and Queho you really had to be careful who you invited in your camp
No kidding. I thought for a minute they were going to turn out to be the same guy...

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

lake mead rainbow bridge.jpg

was looking through some pics of mead today and found this one.Now i just have to find where it is,its way cool.

fishrdan

Admiral

Thanks for sharing that Daniel Bonelli link QC, interesting read. What they lived is one heck of a lot different than zipping around Mead an a sunny afternoon...

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

That's a cool pic jj
The mts. are too far off in the distance for me to tell where it is. Those kinds of formations are prevelant around the gypsum bays.

NO WHINERS

Petty Officer 1st Class

It"s time for my monthly trip to Henderson...Looking forward to a couple lake days and was thinking of Echo Bay. From what I read here it sounds like the boat ramp is open but nothing else...Does this sound right? Any info is appreciated..Jim. Maybe a trip to Willow as I heard a rumor of a huge striper caught there recently..

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

It"s time for my monthly trip to Henderson...Looking forward to a couple lake days and was thinking of Echo Bay. From what I read here it sounds like the boat ramp is open but nothing else...Does this sound right? Any info is appreciated..Jim. Maybe a trip to Willow as I heard a rumor of a huge striper caught there recently..

That's right about Echo. You can still launch on a nice ramp, just bring your own fuel unless you're heading somewhere where they still have fuel docks. There are none now on the Overton Arm. Closest on the water would be Temple Bar. Have a great trip and hope the fish bite for ya.
See you out there Memorial Weekend?

sam60

Captain

Exactly. I keep having this "go to work" thought until I see these:joyous:

Your comment works both ways. Upon further review of my thoughts, "work harder" comes to mind and I will do the bellows, u-joints, gimbal bearing and transom seal in the near future. Not sure that it needs any or all of them but it slowly takes on water. I found all of the parts and I need to get back to TBar. That is the most peaceful place that I have ever experienced (in calm waters). I will stay out of the water until summer after the experiences of last spring...:eek:

fishrdan

Admiral

Maybe a trip to Willow as I heard a rumor of a huge striper caught there recently..

... The thing about Willow is, there's a possibility of catching a huge striper anytime, but it's up to the striper's to cooperate. The last big one I heard of was 33#. I was out the night before in primo conditions and only got 1 little hit that didn't stick. Very slow night, but someone popped a 30+ the next day...

Sounds like you have the latest info for Echo. As 12V said, bring everything you'll need as Overton is 1/2 hour by road or Temple 15 miles by water. While loosing the Echo facilities is bad news, it wouldn't stop me from going out there. My boat holds enough fuel for a couple days and I always bring enough supplies for the trip. I haven't used the low water launch yet (always forget about it), but it could save you 5-10 minutes of idling through the marina's no-wake zone. Look for it on Google Earth, it's past the marina's no-wake zone, but you have to turn off up by the hotel to catch the road.

fishrdan

Admiral

I will do the bellows, u-joints, gimbal bearing and transom seal in the near future. Not sure that it needs any or all of them but it slowly takes on water.

:eek: That's doesn't sound fun :faint2: I have some wrenching to do too, so you're not alone.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

lake mead old trailer park.jpg
That's a cool pic jj
The mts. are too far off in the distance for me to tell where it is. Those kinds of formations are prevelant around the gypsum bays.

cool pict is right,,,, i have more i found!!lake mead old boats.jpg

ok so the boats are floating out in the distance,,i have lots of gear and big cooler how do i get it there? swim i think on bad days,either way its still a day at the lake,probally werent any stripers yet but fish on.

Status
Not open for further replies.