Cable and Drum steering

Old Morrie

Recruit
I have a small paddle wheel river boat

Initial steering was fairly antiquated wooden drum with chains and cable
Converted to hydraulic because the drum & cable was too heavy to manage
The hydraulic is easy to use but has far too many turns lock to lock and does not give sufficient angle on the rudder to negotiate difficult turns, snags etc
Looking to go back to drum & cable but would like to lighten the load - unfortunately cannot increase the wheel size (approx 2ft 6in)

Any ideas would be appreciated

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Your hydraulic steering should have a spec for turns lock to lock. See if you have the same. Low fluid or defective components could cause more turns in your hydraulic steering.

Next check the lock to lock spec for a single cable steering system. If your hydraulic system is working properly and the cable steering has less turns, you could switch over. It should be near as easy to turn as hydraulic.

flashback

Captain
Sure would like to see some pics, how small is a small riverboat. Does the hydraulics have a ram that push/pull a tiller?

flashback

Captain
That looks like a good time! I believe I see the rudder, looks like a barn door. If we saw what your steering gear looks like I'm sure you would get some suggestions to improve it.. lots of crafty people live here...

Old Morrie

Recruit
Thank you The hydraulic ram is a Seastar HC5318 which has a 7 inch stroke that doesn’t give me much rudder angle and is 5 turns lock to lock
Thinking I’m happy to revert back to Cable & Drum - that would mean removing the hyd Helm pump and replacing it with a steering drum and cables - can only fit about 5” diameter drum

The issue I would really like to solve is reducing the amount of force it takes to turn the wheel - dragging the barn door rudder over about 20 feet via the drum at the helm

A much larger steering wheel would probably do the trick but can’t go much larger than current due to space restrictions

All advice would be appreciated

63C2C6EE-A52A-4041-BF83-6E60731E537C.jpeg

flashback

Captain
I suppose you could shorten the distance from the rudder shaft to the ram connection on the tiller arm. It would give you more swing on the rudder but would increase the resistance on the wheel. If you went to cable you could use a 3 inch drum instead of 5 . It would require more revs at the helm but easier turning..

matt167

Captain
Something like the electric steering column from a mid 00s GM or Toyota might do the trick. But I don’t know about it being ignition protected.

flashback

Captain
Electric assist sounds good..send us a pic of what you have at the rudder head where your ram fastened on..

Old Morrie

Recruit
Unfortunately I can’t get photos of the current rudder at the moment
I’m off the river currently so will be “off the air” for a while but will pick up the thread in a couple of weeks
Cheers

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Talk to your local hydraulic shop. A simple orbitrol and hydraulic cylinder and you can get more stroke and less turns lock to lock

flashback

Captain
I don't know anything about hydraulics, had to look up an orbital. Seems like a good idea..

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
It's how fork lifts, telehandlers and street sweepers steer