Cabin rebuilt Project - cabin to deck joint

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Cabin rebuilt Project

Cool project, nice work so far.

I'm no help just posting so I remember to watch your progress.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Been out of town without 'puter. Read your PM's not sure what question your asking about. Anyway back home now. Hope its still going good.

dzausta

Seaman Apprentice

Been out of town without 'puter. Read your PM's not sure what question your asking about. Anyway back home now. Hope its still going good.

Here ill re post it, also i didnt get anything in PM

Ahhh having that much experience would certainly come in real handy ! This was a great learning experience for me. Still a lot to learn in order to see this project to the end. I think you just solved my dilemma, I really didnt want to sand FG on the final layer (if I did moldless form), but now it looks like I dont have to. I could just use polyester primer to fill the weave than just sand the primer down ye?

Following was my plan, please tell me if this is a good way to go about doing it, and if you would/wouldnt do it this way.
If you look at the last photo you can see that my plug comes in 2 parts. One is the foam bit and the other is the plywood laminate.
Now, to get the best finish I thought on what if I drop 4 layers of 20oz cloth over the whole thing than 1 layer of really fine cloth to get a smoother finish than sand it down flat (this part I was dreading) but now I could just fill the weave with a primer than sand the primer flat and ready for gelcoat.

After laying the final cloth layer I would pull out the foam plug, prepare and fiberglass the inside of the previously layed layers. This leaves me with sandwiched plywood leminate.

I thought id do it this way so that I can have a smooth top layer (minimize sanding), right thickness and sandwiched plywood. Also cant do too many layers on the outside otherwise ill lose the windscreen channel and it wont fit.

Does this make sense, its a little late here ? Thanks

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Your probably already past this but I'll give you what I think for whats its worth. 4 layers of 20oz cloth is going to get pretty rough since every little imperfection will multiply with each layer even if you do one layer at a time. Are you really talking cloth? and not woven roving? So my thinking is that either way you won't gain much with a finer weave cloth over the top because you will still have many ups and downs in the 20oz. Any polyester filler/fairing compound over the last layer of glass will help you get a smother finish easier. Just use the filler with a light hand, not very thick. Thin enough so that glass shows on the high spots and the low spots have a little filler in them. Then I might put a coat of gelcoat on with surfacing agent (wax) in it or covered with PVA for easier sanding and use that to get to get the surface nearly perfect. Then your final gelcoat with associated wet sanding and buffing for the nice shiny finish.

There is a lot of old boats with sandwiched plywood out there and when its above the water line it lasts a long long time. Its nice for mounting stuff too. You are really raising the CG so I would also be careful of adding more weight than you actually need. Keep everything as light as possible up there. 4 20oz layers might be overkill. With all the compound curves you have the stiffness would be good with fewer layers. JMHO

dzausta

Seaman Apprentice

Oh my bad its 200 g which is 7 oz I just wanted to put as few layers as possible for a smooth finish but enough stiffness so that it doesn't lose shape when I pull out the plug. Than on the inside I was thinking laying up W roving and csm, I still have to do some research on the layup.

Is it better idea to use cloth or csm? I've seen someone use csm but there was a lot of sanding involved later. I thought by using cloth I could cut back on some sanding?

By the way I appreciate your help, I'm taking in all you're saying thanks.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

I think either cloth or csm would be fine since your going to be adding woven roving and csm inside anyway. No matter what you use your going to have sanding. Cloth may be a bit better because it won't be as easy to compress as csm would be when your rolling it down and should stay more consistant in thickness while its wet.

mfsb

Seaman

What a fun looking job! Way to repurpose your boat to fit your needs instead of dumping it and getting something else. I love your idea on the cuddy and that was what I was looking for when I picked up mine. I have no good advice other than stick with it you are doing great! I love watching the creativity at work on the stuff people do here!

dzausta

Seaman Apprentice

How long after I lay fiberglass do I have to laminate with wax added resin/gel coat?

dzausta

Seaman Apprentice

My understanding is that leminating resin shouldnt have wax addative so in order to resin to fully cure i need to do a final layer with wax added resin or gelcoat or cover with layer of PVA. What I want to know is after I lay down my last layer of cloth is there a timeframe within which I have to apply a layer of wax added gelcoat ? Can I apply it few days later and still have the resin reach full cure?

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Re: Cabin rebuilt Project - cabin to deck joint

I wouldn’t do that if I were you. For the last layer of resin to cure properly, it has to be sealed from air contact. To wait few days then apply the GC, it means the final layer did not cure. I would finish lamination with a waxed resin and let it cure then de-wax, acetone, sand and acetone again then apply the GC

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Its not the whole final layer that does not cure without wax or PVA or something to seal the sir out. Its only a microscopic layer and can be removed by sanding. Though it will plug up the paper quickly when you start. Washing with acetone helps some to remove that layer too.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant

Its not the whole final layer that does not cure without wax or PVA or something to seal the sir out. Its only a microscopic layer and can be removed by sanding. Though it will plug up the paper quickly when you start. Washing with acetone helps some to remove that layer too.

You are correct. That was exactly what I meant by "final" layer. I should have said the "surface" layer instead.

dzausta

Seaman Apprentice

I was reading DeepBlue's restoration post and one issue was mentioned when using wax additive and that is wax would be all over the final layer of FG. Should I be concerned about this in regards to getting a good bond between FG and GC? I plan on sanding it and cleaning it with acetone but would that get all the wax off?

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

yeah, a good sanding will get the wax off. acetone is a good prep prior to applying gelcoat.

dzausta

Seaman Apprentice

Hey guys Ive been a little distracted with few changes in my life. So far the form is finished and tomorrow I am going to wax it, hoping to start glassing this weekend.
I am going to post some photos tomorrow and explain how i plan to glass it and would like to hear what you all think of my plan.

I havent decided on the layup thickness and glass weight yet, any thoughts on this one guys?

dzausta

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry guys my comp decided to die on me and now I'm unable to post any photos for now.

dzausta

Seaman Apprentice

Hey guys, I have to finish off the cabin this weekend so I have to buy the materials on friday but still havent decided on the thickness of layup any suggestions???