C Channel vs. tube trailers ?'s opinions.

bryanwess2000

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was hoping some of the more knowledgeable would discuss the differences
in strength, cost, longevity, etc. of each type of trailer. basically pros and
cons of each. I'm going to have to replace the trailer for the boat I just bought, an EZ loader tubing trailer thats severely rusted from salt use and
was leaning toward another tubing trailer until I read more about them
rusting through quickly. I have found a junk boat sitting on a galvanized
shorelandr tube trailer and wanted to know if this would be better or
should I just buy a c channel trailer? Does shorelandr galvanize the inside
of the tubing or just the outside. I would hope they do both considering
how much they cost new. How do you guys feel about karavan tube trailers?

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant
Re: C Channel vs. tube trailers ?'s opinions.

Aluminum would be best :)

But I would take hot dipped galvanized tube second, Hot dipped "C" Channel third and well I wouldn't buy a painted trailer.

I boat in saltwater.

PS if the trailer out-lasted the junk boat it cant be too bad!

shepster

Cadet

Live in Virginia Beach and I have an aluminum I beam with all stainless fasteners, and galvinized axles and brakes. The axles and brakes are the weak link. So with that said I love the alu trailer as first pick and anything galvenized after that. Just make sure you flush what ever you use well after each use, including your vehicles brakes and rims.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I would never buy a tube beam trailer. They may look nice but they just rust from the inside out and there is nothing you can do about it.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

My first choice would be aluminum tube and/or channel made by Rolls Axle with all aluminum axle and aluminum suspension system, SS hubs and all stainless hardware.

Second would be the same made of galvanized channel.

Third would be same as #1 made of galvanized tube.

Even though the tube may be galvanized inside (no guarantee on that) there is no good way to wash the saltwater off the inside. And it does get inside.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I to have an aluminim trailer and boat in salt. It would be my first choice...

However, to answer your question, Tube is stronger than C Channel, but it is harder to wash out. The inside of the tube is also galvanized if it is a HOT DIP galvanizing, so it gets the inside and the outside... Only you can decide which is right for you....

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Karavan trailers are top notch, just have to get the right one for your boat.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

A lot of it has to do with the quality of the trailer to begin with. Shorelander is not exactly known for their quality. Preferred manufactures tend to be localized so take a look around at some of the more expensive boats and see what they are using.

I boat exclusively in Saltwater and have had three Loadrite, galvanized, box beam trailers.

The first (#3K capacity) was a 1986. Owner moved out of the area. Don't know condition at this point. Was still in use 5 years ago.

The second (#5K capacity) was a 1989. It's still on the road.

My present trailer (#7K capacity) is a 1997 and it's still being used on a daily basis.

I hose off the roller racks and brakes if I think about it. Have never made any sort of effort to rinse inside the tubes.

BTW: Still waiting for my tubes to rust from the inside out :D:D

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

If it's hot dipped it wont rust from the inside out.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Unfortunatly even if it's dipped it will rust out fropm the inside, the salt just sits in there, may take longer but it will go.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Unfortunatly even if it's dipped it will rust out fropm the inside, the salt just sits in there, may take longer but it will go.

I totally agree. It will rust sooner or later. The problem comes when you start quantifying the argument.

It takes longer. Ok, what's longer mean? 35-40 years as opposed to 20-25 years?

What is the useful life of a boat trailer? How many keep a boat and trailer in excess of 5- 10 years let along 20-25 years?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

bryan, I've had 3 trailers. Two of them were original Starcraft trailers and they were C channel but pretty heavy gauge metal. The third one was a fully boxed one. I was initially excited about the fully boxed but I soon came to realize that it was thinner metal and had some serious rust issues. It was indeed rusting from the inside out. Plus it was more of a pain to bolt things to the fully boxed than the C channel one. My preference for used painted trailers, go C channel. For galvanized I would have no issue with a fully boxed one. I just know I would not buy a used fully boxed painted trailer again.

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

It seems to me that the ideal trailer would be an aluminum tube trailer that has drain holes in the back, and quick-attach hose fittings on the front so that you can rinse out the insides of the tubes.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

It seems to me that the ideal trailer would be an aluminum tube trailer that has drain holes in the back, and quick-attach hose fittings on the front so that you can rinse out the insides of the tubes.

They don't make box tube aluminum trailers because the tubing to make them isn't made. Couldn?t afford a trailer made from even if it was available.

I?m a structural Engineer by trade and have worked at the producer lever (Alcan, Alcoa, US Steel, Nucor, etc.) in aluminum and steel for the past 32 years. Worked several years back on a government sponsored project to investigate the feasibility of changing the structural body components (i.e. frames and chassis parts) of auto and trucks over to aluminum. Looked under your car lately? See any aluminum under there?

Knowing what I do about aluminum long term survival using in flexing type applications. I personally would not buy an aluminum trailer unless the price was equal to a box galv trailer. While the aluminum trailer will not rust, your buying into is a different set of problems down the road.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

When I mentioned rusting from the inside out, I did not mean galvanized trailers. I personally owned a box channel trailer that was galvanized and it was great.

My brother has a box frame trailer on a 2000 boat and it is having major rust problems and it does not get dunked in salt very often. This is no cheapy trailer either.

cribber

Lieutenant

While the aluminum trailer will not rust, your buying into is a different set of problems down the road.

What kind of troubles down the road? I have an EasyLoader aluminum trailer and I'm curious as to what to look out for so I can head off any problems.

45Auto

Commander

dingbat said:
Looked under your car lately? See any aluminum under there?

Most of the suspension components (a-arms, locating links, etc) on my 1986 Corvette and 1991 Accord are aluminum. The Corvette has an all aluminum differential housing, mounts, etc. Wheels, driveshafts, transmission housings, engine blocks and oilpans, etc have been made out of aluminum for over 100 years. The Z06 Corvettes have been using all aluminum frames since 2006. Hard to imagine looking under a car and NOT seeing any aluminum!

z.jpg

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

I?m a structural Engineer by trade and have worked at the producer lever (Alcan, Alcoa, US Steel, Nucor, etc.) in aluminum and steel for the past 32 years. Worked several years back on a government sponsored project to investigate the feasibility of changing the structural body components (i.e. frames and chassis parts) of auto and trucks over to aluminum. Looked under your car lately? See any aluminum under there?

Knowing what I do about aluminum long term survival using in flexing type applications. I personally would not buy an aluminum trailer unless the price was equal to a box galv trailer. While the aluminum trailer will not rust, your buying into is a different set of problems down the road.

Yes I have looked, under many GM and Chysler vehicles in the past, oh say five years? There is a significant amount of aluminum being used for major suspension components such as A-arms and independent rear axle swing arms, engine cradles and crossmembers, etc.
Not frames or components that need to flex, but there is a growing use of aluminum as well as magnesium chassis components in use today.

bryanwess2000

Petty Officer 1st Class

This discussion is going well I'm surprised this topic hasn't been brought up
before. Lets keep it going especially personal experience with both types
in salt and fresh water environments. I personally would love to get an
aluminum I-beam but they're too costly for me right now, and it doesn't
make sense to me to buy one to go under a $1500 boat.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

What kind of troubles down the road? I have an EasyLoader aluminum trailer and I'm curious as to what to look out for so I can head off any problems.

Flex and vibration fatigue. Especially in areas that are welded. Then there is galvanic corrosion taking place where ever different metals are in contact with each other.
Like around the fasteners.