Buying boat need opinions

Calebbrown77

Seaman
I'm thinking about buying a 1989 VIP valiant it has a 350 v8 the lower outdrive or cuppler are bad one or the other he said it's a nice boat few ters in leather but normal buying for 2000.00 think it's a good deal or what?

DaNinja

Lieutenant
Re: Buying bot need opinions

I'm thinking about buying a 1989 VIP valiant it has a 350 v8 the lower outdrive or cuppler are bad one or the other he said it's a nice boat few ters in leather but normal buying for 2000.00 think it's a good deal or what?
Buying bots is always tricky. I recently saw a movie and it looked like it ended with renegade bots and a bunch of automatic gun fire. :eek:

I'd pass on the boat that you talked about, though.

Welcome!!
Waving.gif

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Every movie I ever saw about getting bots turned out bad. And to think...I had high hope for the future.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

Every movie I ever saw about getting bots turned out bad. And to think...I had high hope for the future.
When they show up in legions in big trucks, I don't care how much ammo you carry or how fast your motorcycle is. Bots are bad!

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer

Buying bots is always tricky. I recently saw a movie and it looked like it ended with renegade bots and a bunch of automatic gun fire. :eek:

I'd pass on the boat that you talked about, though.

Welcome!!
Waving.gif

I almost posted something like this too...

I almost shorted out my laptop when I read your post! Thank God my keyboard is waterproof...and I was just drinking water...and not eating anything...

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

If the current owner 'doesn't know' what is wrong with it, it means he had it looked at and the cost of the repair was more than the boat, or.... he neglected it over the years, and it finally gave up the goat, so now it's time to sell it. In either case, there is more trouble with the boat then you can see at this point... I'd pass. Bad enough it's a boat with leather!
nono.gif
hitfish.gif
confused.gif

infideltarget

If the current owner 'doesn't know' what is wrong with it, it means he had it looked at and the cost of the repair was more than the boat, or.... he neglected it over the years, and it finally gave up the goat, so now it's time to sell it. In either case, there is more trouble with the boat then you can see at this point... I'd pass. Bad enough it's a boat with leather!
nono.gif
hitfish.gif
confused.gif

It's a BOT with leather! we have no idea what the BOAT has in it.

Would that be some kind of S&M BOT? I dont think I have ever seen a BOT with leather. Sounds kinda' scary...and yet strangely exciting...but mostly scary.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

VIPs very often had OMC stern drives in them. Does this one? You probably want to avoid an OMC as they've been out of business for over a decade and aren't fully supported with parts/service.

hostage

Lieutenant

When I see a boat going for really cheap I wonder if you are paying the guy to take junk off his hands. Sometimes people are to lazy to bring it to get checked out, but I would be very skeptical. Spend a bit more and get a working boat for less than what it would cost you to fix that one.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Buying boat need opinions

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,....

A boat that don't run, is a pile of Parts....

2 Grand sounds like 2 Much...

Calebbrown77

Seaman

Ok sorry I was clear guy but the boat runs great it has a new motor an he had found out the lower out drive was bad in it his wife bought him a new boat so he was gonna sell it to me for cheap an help me fix te out drive now what he said about the stern drone omc I will ask an figure out if It is I will get pictures up soon an it's not leather it's the pleathor they use in normal boat it is a nice boat maybe one I get pictures up an if it doesn't have a stern drive maybe y'all could give it a chance An help me figure out the outdrive maybe io am Getting a decent deal?

Calebbrown77

Seaman

Ok so turns out it isn't a stern drive its an outdrive an it's my girlfriends uncle an he is saying out of the 2000 I give him how ever much it cost to fix will come out of it?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Ok so turns out it isn't a stern drive its an outdrive an it's my girlfriends uncle an he is saying out of the 2000 I give him how ever much it cost to fix will come out of it?

If it has a 350V8 it most certainly is a stern drive (otherwise known as an I/O or inboard/outboard). You need to find out what BRAND of drive it has!!

infideltarget

Sort of the same thing. Sterndrive means the drive system is in the stern (rear) of the boat, as opposed to a inboard (mid drive), like a ski boat with the engine in the middle of the boat. Yours is an I/O which means the engine is inside the boat, and the drive is outside the boat (usually referred to as an inboard / outboard, or I/O) The out drive is the part of the drive system that is on the outside of the boat...upper and lower gear cases, etc. A sterndrive could also possibly mean a v-drive boat, but that is not what you have. There are others here that can go into much greater detail, but this will give you the jist of it.

EDIT: ezmobee posted faster :) sorry to duplicate

hostage

Lieutenant

IMHO you should do a lot more research into boating and you started at one of the right places (iboats). Do a lot of online research and ask a lot of questions on the forums....else you might end up being one of the many that dislike boating and view boat as "Bring Out Another Thousand".

I know you have boat fever, we all experienced it, but would you buy a 1989 car w/ a bad transmission and a plethora of other issues? If your g/f's uncle is helping you, just make sure you treat your g/f well.

-Hostage

Calebbrown77

Seaman

Thanks guys this really is helping! That's why I decided to get on here! I am going to take pictures o everything today I'll put them on here an you guys can let me know what you think after that?

Calebbrown77

Seaman

An also when I go today what should I look go to identify that it is omc of not? Or other things I should look for that are bad?

infideltarget

IMHO you should do a lot more research into boating and you started at one of the right places (iboats). Do a lot of online research and ask a lot of questions on the forums....else you might end up being one of the many that dislike boating and view boat as "Bring Out Another Thousand".

I know you have boat fever, we all experienced it, but would you buy a 1989 car w/ a bad transmission and a plethora of other issues? If your g/f's uncle is helping you, just make sure you treat your g/f well.

-Hostage

that would most assuredly depend on the car, hostage.

...AND be sure to NOT break up with her until the boat is fixed!!! just sayin.