Buying a new boat V8 vs v6

45Auto

Commander
Re: Buying a new boat V8 vs v6

For what it's worth, I think you made the right decision. Been on this forum for about 7 years now, seen hundreds of posts where people say "I wish I had got the bigger engine". NEVER seen a single one where someone says "This boat has too much power, wish I had a smaller engine!".

MikDee

Banned

$5100 :eek: Max before you go any further, please checkout this thread, you could get a NEW GM universal 350 V8 for $1600, and it shouldn't cost that much to install! Now that you've decided what to do, let your fingers do the walking, It's your money, but I wouldn't spend that much for a rebuilt engine with only an 18 month warrantee, when I can get a New one for less!

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=312822

captharv

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good choise, maxx.
Heres my $.02:
About 8 years ago, I had a 23' aft cabin cruiser with a 5.7.
I bought it 2 yrs old with a new motor which merc replaced under warranty ( thru a rod). I had it 14 years.
Chosie was between new engine or new boat. New engine back then also about 5K$.
I sat and looked at it hard for a few months. The primary use became cruising, and ocasional offshore fishing and diving. However, the cabin comfort was the primary objective. The 23 had a small vee birth and the aft cabin took a 13 yr gymnast to get in and out of. When purchased, daughter was 7 and had no problems doing so. Small vee birth and no air conditioning made for problems.

I bought a new 24' boat, equipped fully, large sleeping area and of course, marine air. A larger boat would have necessitated a larger tow vehicle. the admiral approved the boat under the condition that the tow vehicle we had (and was paid for) would tow it. NO NEW truck!

Point being made: If your boat was suitable for whatever your useage is, and the engine performance is sufficient, change that engine out with a like one. If your usage dictates a different boat, then trade (up),such as I did.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

OK I am a guy that keeps stuff a long time and likes to fix things but there are limits. So here's what I would do:
1) check the entire structure of this boat, make sure there is no rot starting in the deck, engine stringers and transom. If so, then the newer boat idea makes sense because structural repairs (been there done that) are more difficult and time consuming than replacing engines.
2) I wouldn't get a reman engine, I'd get a new GM crate engine and have your accessories transferred to it. Make sure your manifolds/risers are good, since water leaks from them often ruin marine engines.

If #1 checks out good, then doing #2 makes sense, and your engine will be new, which is not true of a used boat.
When the time comes, this what I'm doing with my 88 Four Winns. I did a stringer repair and deck replacment on this boat, the interior is mostly new. It has never broken down on the water and the 22 year old OMC Cobra drive shifts like new. I have heard of PLENTY of problems on some newer boats, namely repeated failures of electric fuel pumps ($700, nice eh?) on fuel injected Volvos, and the later style 2006 and up Volvo drives have had issues with bad trim pumps and gear noise. The Ocean Series Drive has been a disaster. My point is, newer is not always better. I am not sure I like the new foam composite construction. If water gets in it gets soft and delaminates. Then what? Some of the newer bowriders are AWFUL to work on. All this un-needed molded in fiberglass around the engine, heaven help you when (not if but when) you have to change the starter, or manifolds, or anything on the rear of the engine. So check out what you have and if the structure is good, then go for it.....300 hp is a beautiful thing........

Believe it or not I feel the 4.3 with the 4bbl Quadrajet is fine in my old 88 FW and that's what I'd replace it with, that way I don't have to change the drive, exhaust, etc....

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

hmm...I'm pretty happy with my 4.3 LX 205hp...thought I wanted a 5.7

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer

I have a 4.3l and we have no performance problems with me, wife and 3 kids on board. Next year I'm getting a two person tube and I'm sure I will not have any get up and go issues. BTW - the 4.3l is really good on gas if that is a consideration. But.........my kids are getting older, bigger and heavier and am hoping I still get the same performance when they are teens.

shrew

Lieutenant

I wonder if the OP is still comtemplating a new engine vs. new boat?

dvandsm64

Petty Officer 2nd Class

we love our 5.7 liter, if for nothing else, a bragging factor. our boat is 19 ft.