Buy New or Repower Old?

kahuna

Seaman
What is the norm for a 1989 boat that you like? Repower or buy whole new rig? What have you guys done and why? New engines would have to be 200hp to 225 hp twins.

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Buy New or Repower Old?

I have a 1985 with a stern drive. I like the boat (had it since '86) and repowered in 2000. I considered remanufactured, but decided to go with an all new engine and drive (Mercruiser). It was expensive, but the boat is worth it. <br />The only negative I see is the boat's book value is lower than what I have into it. I've insured it with an "agreed value" policy to protect my investment. If I ever wanted to sell, I would most likely not get what it is worth (to me!).

kahuna

Seaman

arks: <br /><br />I understand what you are saying about not getting out what you put in, but if you look at the resale of two year old boats as compared to brand new same model there is an incredible depreciation. That goes for all boats as far as I can see. You never get out what you put in.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I just went down that trail. One of my 2 1987 OMC V4s went south. I talked to a couple of shops who advised me to repower. They proposed that I scrap my two 1987 V4s for a single new carbed 2 cycle 200 Yammy which would need a bracket + controls. The option was a remanufactured V4 by an "OMC" authorized rebuilder.<br /><br />Cost of the remanufactured motor was $4,000.00 which I could have beat by at least $1,000.00 or more if I had done it myself. The cost of the Yammy package was around $14,000.00.<br /><br />Mechanically my remanufactured motor is like new and I like the idea of twins. That plus I can do some of the work myself. With the sensors and computers in the Yammy I would have been tied to the Yammy mechanic.<br /><br />It was a no brainer for me - - Hel% - - for $14K I can buy a complete boat motor and trailer in good condition.

kahuna

Seaman

Solittle: What's involved with a remanufacture? Both my motors have new lowers this year and one has a new power head about 1.5 yrs old (very low hours).