Buy a new Winner Wildcat

lmabuin

Cadet
Hello to all! Greetings from Venezuela.
I bought a boat in 2013 and reviewing the papers, I saw a boat is brand Winner (does not specify which year). I bought it at a good price but I have to repair some details. I will remove the decals and paint everything with gelcoat
The boat came with a 225 hp engine evinrude 1992. I think it's too big for the boat (I reinforced the stern for engine) so I ask you on which engine is recommended for this boat.
Attach you can find some pics.
Best Regards and Sorry for my very bad english

IMG_00000238.jpg IMG_00000231.jpg532438862034650785_296983088.jpgIMG_00000233.jpg

lmabuin

Cadet
Re: Buy a new Winner Wildcat

Yeah! Morrocoy?s national Park. Best place to sail

AChotrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

There should be a plate with the max HP motor the boat should use.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

should be ideal if the boat have the plate but no, doen?t have. Maybe a 75 or 90hp?
Hi Imabuin. Welcome to Iboats. I bought a new Winner "Eliminator" in 1972 I think. It was 16'-9" long and had an 80 hp Merc on it. As well as my old memory serves me, it had a 17" pitch prop that gave me about 35 MPH. That was before GPS, so the speed could be off somewhat. I think the Wildcat and Eliminator had similar hulls at that time, but the rear "spoiler" at the top of the transom on the Eliminator was perhaps higher. I don't remember the maximum permitted, but it may have been about 120 HP. I know I was pleased with it's performance.

I pulled over and took this picture in about 1974 at the exact spot when my '64 Chevy SS hit 100,000 miles and the odometer reset to 000000.0 miles. Sorry about the picture quality. I took it with an old camera on slide film that I only recently managed to digitize. - Grandad

lmabuin

Cadet

Hi Imabuin. Welcome to Iboats. I bought a new Winner "Eliminator" in 1972 I think. It was 16'-9" long and had an 80 hp Merc on it. As well as my old memory serves me, it had a 17" pitch prop that gave me about 35 MPH. That was before GPS, so the speed could be off somewhat. I think the Wildcat and Eliminator had similar hulls at that time, but the rear "spoiler" at the top of the transom on the Eliminator was perhaps higher. I don't remember the maximum permitted, but it may have been about 120 HP. I know I was pleased with it's performance.

I pulled over and took this picture in about 1974 at the exact spot when my '64 Chevy SS hit 100,000 miles and the odometer reset to 000000.0 miles. Sorry about the picture quality. I took it with an old camera on slide film that I only recently managed to digitize. - Grandad

Woow! GranDad! that boat looks AWESOME!! im gonna copy your desing (sorry for that:laugh:) because looks really classic and elegant (that?s my wife said).
About your opiniom, im sure that with a 120 HP run like wind, but i dont have right now in my pocket, so i found a 75 hp 2 Stroke yamaha brand new; what do you think about that? im plannig carry max 6 peoples.
Thank you for your info
Luis Miguel Abuin

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Hi Luis. I think you'll be happy with the 75 HP. Here's another picture. I really loved that boat. We explored a lot of nice places in it. - Grandad

lmabuin

Cadet

Yeah, hope so! here we sail on MORROCOY NATIONAL PARK (venezuela). check on google for pics; here are trully beautiful

AChotrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

How big is the boat? My little 17ft bass boat is rated for a 125 and looks much smaller than that boat. I have a 60hp on it and fully loaded in rough chop does 35, and on the river with little gear has hit 41. Works for my needs but I wish it had a 115-125.

southkogs

Staff member

I really loved that boat. We explored a lot of nice places in it. - Grandad
Beautiful boat Grandad.

How big is the boat? My little 17ft bass boat is rated for a 125 and looks much smaller than that boat. I have a 60hp on it and fully loaded in rough chop does 35, and on the river with little gear has hit 41. Works for my needs but I wish it had a 115-125.
Not the same hull types. Your 17' is rated for 125 and would likely smack 70MPH with it. My 17' is rated for 165 and won't see the bottom side of 50MPH ... even downhill. Bass boats are designed to stay on top of the water (the way I watch 'em, half the time they're out of the water) and blaze along. Conversely, his hull is designed to "eat" waves and knock 'em way down. It's diggin' through a lot more water to keep things stable. Takes more "oomph" to make that happen, so you don't get the speed outta' it.

lmabuin

Cadet

Hi Chotrod!
My boat it's a 18ft. Maybe with a 75hp can get 40 cruser (full load) and thats work perfectly for me. With a 21 open deep hull normaly go at 35 and that's ok becbecause i looking for enjoy the travel, not for run

76SRV190

Cadet
I have a 17 foot Winner Wildcat and it is rated for 125. That was the largest outboard at the time of manufacture but over the years we've had up to 200 hp on it and the boat handled it well. There is currently a 115 HP 4 stroke Merc with a 17 pitch prop. With one person in the boat and the engine trimmed it will hit just over 49 MPH
They are great little boats and it has been a one family boat since new (1969) and has been used almost exclusively for skiing.

76SRV190

Cadet
No Title

I have a 17 foot Winner Wildcat and it is rated for 125. That was the largest outboard at the time of manufacture but over the years we've had up to 200 hp on it and the boat handled it well. There is currently a 115 HP 4 stroke Merc with a 17 pitch prop. With one person in the boat and the engine trimmed it will hit just over 49 MPH
They are great little boats and it has been a one family boat since new (1969) and has been used almost exclusively for skiing.