• Rollers

Votes: 36 36.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bunks or Rollers

Hi Seasoned Boaters,

I am new to boating and try to consume as much knowledge as people are willing to offer. I have an 18' Bayliner BR185 Bowrider on a trailer with bunks. I was recently told I should have got a trailer with rollers instead. What is the difference between bunks and rollers and is it worth the investment of getting a new trailer that has rollers?

Thanks All

Bunks, if the right length, width, and placement...hands down! Does the trailer fit the boat?
Captain Chris

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Going down the road and winch strap breaks??????????? If that's all that's securing your boat to the trailer you deserve to lose your boat. A safety chain is there for a purpose. Stern tie downs are also required. Roller trailer or not, an emergency maneuver without stern tie downs will put any boat off the trailer.

Take a gander at the following picture. This is what happens when stern tie downs are not used, and apparently neither is a bow safety chain. Note that the truck is not damaged so this was simply a quick stop. As one learns (or should have learned) in high school physics class -- "an object in motion tends to stay in motion!"

Trailleroops.jpg

Legally you need a safety chain, and I'm assuming stern tiedowns.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I think the devil is in the details.

bunks are better in some cases and rollers are better in others..

it all depends on where you boat, how long the boat is how heavy it is, how far you trailer.. how often you trailer

what material your boat is made of and wether the trailer is properly loaded..IE is the suspension too heavy duty or to light duty for the boat?

bob