bunk slicks or glide on's

southernboater

Seaman Apprentice
We found our pontoon on iboats last year and love it. Since we use it in saltwater (always washed and trailered after each use) several people have suggested removing the carpet from the bunks and covering them with a non-porous material that will not hold salt like carpet. The idea is that salt is trapped in the carpet and remains in contact with the toon. I am not sure if I need bunk slicks, glide on's or if there is something better.

Thanks for any advice.

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Re: bunk slicks or glide on's

Most of the glide ons and slicks I've seen just fasten to the bunk on top of the carpet. That should work fine for you. No need to remove the carpet since the toons will be elevated slightly above it. Let me know how it turns out for you. Thinking of getting some myself.

shaeleblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the carpet will also hold salt and moisture and rot the woodf bunks faster. it only took 4 years to do it to mine and i wash after everyuse. on my old fiberglass hull i just left the bunks un covered and they lasted about 10 years.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have bunk slicks, and guide ons, to help on windy days. she slides on right up to the stops.

tooncover003-2.jpg

shaeleblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

them are exactly what i was going to do with the teflon from the bottom of the air boats lol i might buy these now. i figure my bunks are 2x4 size and 18 ft long so i would get these in the 3inch wide and 54 in long. should do me right. i will have to get a few sections of them though. i have 4 18ft bunks and 2 10 ft bunks to cover them with.