Building a center console and converting Bowrider to Center Console

tasmania105

Cadet
Hey guys so as most you know the winter is here and it has hit us with cold temperatures in the past couple days. Therefore I decided to take on a lil project that I had envisioned for a while now.

I decided to convert my Bayliner Capri 1600 bowrider to a nice center console. I will try and tackle this to the best of my abilities as I am by no means a builder of any kind, hopefully with the help of a few family members I will be able to get this project done by the summer (It's funny because I heard people say all the time that they hope to be done with their boat projects by the time the summer comes around and for the MOST part it usually doesn't go according to plan).

Having said that I have started by building my own center console out of birch plywood (I believe its birch, not sure but I know its the really thin plywood). I'm going to have to apologize about not posting pictures from the very beginning but at the time it didn't even cross my mind to start a thread about this.

You guys are more than welcome to reply with comments and suggestions as I will be very happy to hear any input given.

Thanks and here it goes....

Attachments

• Center console 1.jpg
    Center console 1.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Center console 2.jpg
    Center console 2.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Center console 3.jpg
    Center console 3.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Center console 5.jpg
    Center console 5.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 4
  • Center console 6.jpg
    Center console 6.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 4

tasmania105

Cadet
Re: Building a center console and converting Bowrider to Center Console

Center console 12.jpgCenter console 13.jpgCenter console 14.jpg

A couple more pics

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hi tasmania105,

Welcome to the iboats dry dock.

Nice plan you have there, should make a nice fishin boat when you are done.

As far as the console goes, I have a question... Are you going to fiberglass/epoxy it before you install it in the boat?

Answer; You should...;)

The reason I ask is threefold, one; the stresses involved in a boat require that things be solidly built, and a few layers of fiberglass will Help do that...Secondly, the fiberglass will make the wood water-resistant, otherwise, it will probably begin to rot, swell, and delaminate fairly quickly... AND Third, you are going to be installing your steering and gauges and wiring in there, plus you will be loading it with your weight and the weight of a passenger sitting on the front, and the loads imposed by the steering input and you holding on and imparting twisting and foreward and backward stresses on it, etc., etc., so it needs to be STRONG...just think of hitting a wave at speed and ending up with your steering wheel and you in the drink as your boat speeds away...:redface:

Also, you will need to do all of this fiberglassing inside and out for it to be effective, so you may need to disassemble part of the console , so you can do a proper job of fiberglassing the insides.

You may also need to add more structure in the way of reinforcement... I have my doubts about what looks like 1/4 birch plywood being sufficient for this, but I am often wrong...:facepalm:

Another approach is to use epoxy, it will do the same basic things as fiberglassing, without the smell, but at a slightly higher cost...and you MAY still have to use some fiberglass cloth impregnated with the epoxy for strength...those who work with epoxies will let you know what/how...

This is only my 2 cents worth, and I am sure others who know way more than I do, will soon jump in and point you in the right direction.

Best regards,
GT1M

Mike Lammert

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello Tas, welcome to the forum! Your craftsmanship appears to be spot on, as that is a lovely looking console.....However, you should heed GT's warning, as the marine environment will turn the wood to mush in just a few seasons. Depending on the finished product you are looking for, you should atleast give it a coating of epoxy on all wood surfaces, and be sure to use a bedding sealant around any fasteners used on it. Looks like a great start, keep up the great work and don't forget that we LOVE pics! I'll be watching!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'm afraid the 1/4" Plywood and the fact that it is interior grade Birch are two strikes against this console. I strongly recommend using 1/2" Exterior grade Arauco plywood from Lowe's or Home Depot. They use 100% waterproof glue in the plywood and the wood laminates are much more resistant to water and rot than the birch. As others have said you will need the strength too. I would also recommend that you use Epoxy for this project and not Poly. Epoxy is much stronger and does not require fiberglass mat or cloth. I'm sure you will be painting the console and epoxy can be painted with no issues. And you can use the epoxy with Biaxial cloth to tab the console to the hull. If you want to gelcoat everything then you must use Polyester resin and the Mat/Cloth This will make it much more difficult to apply the mat/cloth to the various surfaces of the console.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Hey Tas fabrication looks good ! I,m no pro but just a thought . Most guys here saturate all cut ends of plywood with resin before fabrication. And be careful not to make area for cooler to snug a fit because your glass layers will add thickness.:)

chriscraft254

Commander

These guys all hit the nail on the head! The 1/4 inch birch you have there if it gets even a little bit of moisture will delaminate the skin right off of it. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but That console is not built to last and will not last even if it is coated with epoxy. At the very least you should be using 1/2 inch material that is marine grade. Its not unheard of to use regular plywood, but not 1/4 inch plywood.

There are many here that can direct you in the proper construction for a boat bow to stern, keel to cap. Wish you had come here and asked questions before you wasted your material and time. Doing things cheaply or with cheap material will always bite you in the azz down the road. No since having to build things twice, when there are plenty of people here to help you. Good luck