Broke powerhead bolt

35hpdennis

Cadet
I replaced powerhead gasket and when torguing down bolts I broke one. Will be OK to run engine like that. I assume it will blow gasket at that position.

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
i would lift the power head and do the job properly by removing the broken bolt and replacing with a new or used one regardless if what motor .

35hpdennis

Cadet
What motor ?-----What bolt position ?-----Pictures would help.
1983 evinrude 35hp. It the one point to or the one above marked 2. It raining right now so I can't verify at the moment.

Attachments

• 20221120_131442.jpg
    20221120_131442.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 17

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
It looks like you are pointing at a Cylinder Head Bolt. If that is the case, then you must replace it. If you are pointing at some other bolt, provide a better Pic, even if you have to wait till the rain quits

tphoyt

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If you broke it putting back in it won’t be that hard to get back out. Just start over and do it right.

35hpdennis

Cadet
It looks like you are pointing at a Cylinder Head Bolt. If that is the case, then you must replace it. If you are pointing at some other bolt, provide a better Pic, even if you have to wait till the rain quits
Yes l'm pointing to to head bolt

35hpdennis

Cadet
I would also like to know how to pull the powerhead out. It will need to be in order to drill out the bolt if necessary. I see two bots inside the cowling holding the powerhead, are there bolts below also? Does the lower unit need to be removed? I have a manual but don't see anything about this

saltchuckmatt

Commander
I would also like to know how to pull the powerhead out. It will need to be in order to drill out the bolt if necessary. I see two bots inside the cowling holding the powerhead, are there bolts below also? Does the lower unit need to be removed? I have a manual but don't see anything about this
What did you tork the bolts to?

If it broke next to the head than when you pull the head off you should have a stub you can grab and spin it out.

ONERCBOATER!

Seaman
I Believe if memory serves me right... power head removal requires lower unit removed so you can access bolts from withint...and possibly shifter...
I have one I'll look at when I get back to the house.
I know you can look at the various diagrams from the likes of boatsDOTnet and see what and where.

I would suggest before removing power head see if with head removed you can get ahold of it or tease it out. Just a thought of course.

Sean

ONERCBOATER!

Seaman
Also...I would replace all head bolts at that point....on the assumption of them possibly being fatigued by a prior wrench.
And a new head gasket.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Powerhead can be removed without removing the lower unit.---Shift rod coupling does not need to be touched on side of exhaust housing.------But take the cylinder head off first!----See what needs to be done.----If you have not resurfaced the head it will be warped.----All 1983 cylinder heads are warped after years of service!

35hpdennis

Cadet
I'm hoping that's the case.
I torqued them to 10 ft lbs, then 15...and was trying to go to 20. None got to 20 and after I broke one I stopped. I wish I had bought new bolts, but the were like $9 each on boats dot net. I should have gone to a bolts supplier.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Were threads cleaned with a 5/16-NC tap ?----What torque value was used ?----Were you using the proper bolts ?----Correct , no need to buy factory bolts at all.

saltchuckmatt

Commander
I torqued them to 10 ft lbs, then 15...and was trying to go to 20. None got to 20 and after I broke one I stopped. I wish I had bought new bolts, but the were like $9 each on boats dot net. I should have gone to a bolts supplier.
Well, you did it correctly.