Bravo III yoke & ujoint

torombolo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Morning, I took out my Bravo 3 for some VERY needed maintenance and found the yoke & ujoints had some rust on the, what would be recomended to clean these? I did presure wash and lubed, but would like to leave them as clean as possible.

tpenfield

Staff member
Morning, I took out my Bravo 3 for some VERY needed maintenance and found the yoke & ujoints had some rust on the, what would be recomended to clean these? I did presure wash and lubed, but would like to leave them as clean as possible.

Surface rust, or more severe rust? I usually slobber the ujoints and yokes with marine grease after pumping up the ujoints with grease. It keeps rust from forming on the metal surfaces.

If you have rust coming from the grease, it may be time for some additional maintenance. . . .

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Your suffering from a case of ECD, the pressure washer probably forced water into the u joints and drive

torombolo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did pump new grease to the U joints until all the old grease was gone.

It is surface rust, nothing major

alldodge

Staff member
I did pump new grease to the U joints until all the old grease was gone.

It is surface rust, nothing major

As Bt Doc mentioned, power washers should be kept away from seals and U-joints unless your getting ready to overhaul or replace

torombolo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did fail to put more info. Im rebuilding the outdrive all the seals, belows, cables, anodes etc will be replaced, even of in good condition Im looking at complete maintenance for the B3

Bondo

Staff member
I did fail to put more info. Im rebuilding the outdrive all the seals, belows, cables, anodes etc will be replaced, even of in good condition Im looking at complete maintenance for the B3

Ayuh,.... The outside surfaces of the drive shaft, 'n double cardan joints is superficial, clean as best ya can,...

The machined surfaces are critical, 'n must be clean smooth, 'n without grooves,...

torombolo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Excuse my ignorance, what do you mean by machined surfaces?