Bravo 3

tpenfield

Staff member
I have not offered much help here, but I agree that the best thing to do would be to inspect all the parts for wear and partially re-assemble to see if the shift linkage and lever are working properly.

If you want, you could *slightly* rough up the clutch surfaces, which can help the clutch engage. I did that for a delayed shifting problem a few years ago.

ericcarr

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK I think I’m gonna try to reassemble it without that shift linkage arm and see how it shifts that way. But in the meantime does somebody have a part number for these O-rings for the top and front cover? Also am I correct to assume since this has the newer clutch on it that it has been replaced but this fork looking thing has not since it does not have that yellow stripe on it?

Attachments

• 45CB74B5-B6B9-41E8-BCD6-157D21AF07CC.jpeg
    45CB74B5-B6B9-41E8-BCD6-157D21AF07CC.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • C98DE944-FF50-458B-A3BB-11DCA0B51E71.jpeg
    C98DE944-FF50-458B-A3BB-11DCA0B51E71.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2

alldodge

Staff member
Don't look at it as something has been replaced, its more like it had some newer design parts installed from the factory.

Top cap O-ring 25-97387
Rear cap O-ring 12708

ericcarr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Gotcha, Thanks for the part numbers, I will attempt to reassemble it this weekend and get back with you guys, thanks again

ericcarr

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK here’s where I am at with this, I just got done reassembling the top half and I am right back to square one, when I take this Allen bolt out of this fork the shift lever seems to move freely, however when I reinstall that bolt in the fork it still gets hung up and will not seem to shift. I guess one question I have is is it possible I put that fork in upside down?

Attachments

• 5F0B4814-2EDE-44D3-90F7-333E4B9BDED9.jpeg
    5F0B4814-2EDE-44D3-90F7-333E4B9BDED9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5

alldodge

Staff member
Note there are 2 screws (one on top/bottom) of the shift cam. The top screw is not installed currently, and you know this just pointing it out.

When that screw is removed the drive is not shifting, because the shift lever is unable to move the cam in either direction

Lock nuts are torqued to 80 in lb
Lock nuts on top
Taper on cam ends on top

ericcarr

Petty Officer 1st Class
So am I overthinking this thinking I have an issue? Shouldn't there be a way to shift it into gears off the boat?

alldodge

Staff member
Yes, just remember bravo only shifts when the drive shaft turns. Facing the drive shaft it rotates CW

ericcarr

Petty Officer 1st Class
When you say driveshaft, are you referring to the shaft the propeller is mounter to or the shaft that goes into the engine?

ericcarr

Petty Officer 1st Class
So if I’m standing opposite the prop shaft at tge shaft that goes into the engine, I can turn the shaft clockwise then shift it that way?

alldodge

Staff member
So if I’m standing opposite the prop shaft at tge shaft that goes into the engine, I can turn the shaft clockwise then shift it that way?
Correct, that should cause drive to shift F/N/R

ericcarr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ya know I just thought about something. Is it possible the motor I put in it rotates the opposite direction from my original motor preventing the drive from going into gear?

ericcarr

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK, I just went out and started the motor and while standing on top of the motor it sure as hell seems like it is rotating counterclockwise

alldodge

Staff member
A right hand motor has not been made in a hole bunch of years.

Rotation is determined from the flywheel. Standard rotation (LH or CCW) at the flywheel, and rotates CW at the front of the motor

ericcarr

Petty Officer 1st Class
So with me standing on top of the motor looking at the back of it it’s rotating ccw. So I should be good then? Sorry for so many stupid questions

alldodge

Staff member
So with me standing on top of the motor looking at the back of it it’s rotating ccw. So I should be good then? Sorry for so many stupid questions
Correct
So if you look direct at the drive shaft on the outdrive, or at the front of the motor they will be turning CW

ericcarr

Petty Officer 1st Class
So what’s the difference in the drives if you have twins? Doesn’t one motor turn opposite?

alldodge

Staff member
So what’s the difference in the drives if you have twins? Doesn’t one motor turn opposite?
No
The bravo can run the lower in reverse (so to speak) just as hard as forward.

The upper always runs in same direction just change the shift position changes the lower direction with no effect on performance