Bravo 3 drive oil fitting replacement

salty3rd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Gents, just a quick update.. I changed both gimbal rings using the JR Marine system, worked great. When rebuilding the gimbal housing I snapped the dreaded drive oil fitting. So after a few four letter words, I watched the JR marine video and driiled the old one out using a 1/2” drill bit, took less than 2 minutes. I then used a boroscope and a long pair of needle nose pliers to put the c clip in to secure the new fitting. I tried without the boroscope with a lot of aggravation and no luck. So if this happens find someone with a boroscope and save yourself a lot of aggravation. Good luck..

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
why a bore scope, the "E" clip is external and readily see from inside the boat

salty3rd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well in my boat the E clip was buried behind a 305 and under the steering mechanism. There was no way to see it and replace it at the same time. I have heard of others pulling the engine to replace it. Just trying to post something I found helpful for other to use.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
pull the steering cylinder maybe but not the engine, a difficult repair but doable

salty3rd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A lot easier with a boroscope and long needle nose pliers. Just trying to help others, I won’t do it again due to the negativity.