bravo 1 u joint

995jim

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
May 27, 2016
Messages
64
Hello, my bravo1 has developed a new noise. I just had my transom and stringers at engine restructured. After a few trips out on the water I noticed when the i turn the wheel all the way to starboard it sounds like the u joint is binding or fluttering noise. with each revolution at idle. I could feel the vibration all the way up through to the steering wheel. the u joint was just greased and didnt seem to have signs of bearing failure. So im not sure if it would be the engine alignment when reinstalled, a steering adjustment, or the ujoint itself. There isnt any vibration or noticable noise otherwise. any ideas? thanks jim
 
Last edited:

Scott06

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Apr 20, 2014
Messages
7,594
Hello, my bravo1 has developed a new noise. I just had my transom and stringers at engine restructured. After a few trips out on the water I noticed when the i turn the wheel all the way to starboard it sounds like the u joint is binding or fluttering noise. with each revolution at idle. I could feel the vibration all the way up through to the steering wheel. the u joint was just greased and didnt seem to have signs of bearing failure. So im not sure if it would be the engine alignment when reinstalled, a steering adjustment, or the ujoint itself. There isnt any vibration or noticable noise otherwise. any ideas? thanks jim
I would recheck the alignment several times and rotate the coupler 90 deg 4 times to check alignment through the arc of coupler rotation. U joints can be tough to see wear with out taking the caps off. The ujoints on my Alpha gen 2 felt fine but when I resealed my drive I replaced them 1-2 crosses on both joints had ribbed wear on them. these were permalube joints that never got wet... basically throw them out after 300 hr.

if they are the same ones with external circlips a moog 344 or equivalent will work
 
Top