Brand new boat listing to port!!

suds

Seaman Apprentice
Picked up our brand new 2003 boat. Second day we had it we noticed it was listing on the port side in the rear. We took it back to dealer and they can't find anything wrong with it, although they agreed it is listing. We also have water coming up thru the scupper on that side. They told us they would get in touch with the manufacturer and see what they say. My fear is they will say there's nothing wrong with it. The dealer told us the boat is safe and we can use it, but we told them we wouldn't touch the boat until it is fixed just in case we have to get a lawyer involved. So now we have no boat, a paid for slip in the marina and a bank account that is now less the cost of the boat. Oh, and dealer tried to tell us that's the side the battery is mounted. I guess they thought we were stupid enough to believe that idiotic explanation. Anyone have any suggestions for us would be greatly appreciated.

dinsdale

Seaman
Re: Brand new boat listing to port!!

Need more Information.<br />Size of boat, Type, location of Battery, size of battery, location of gas tanks, size of gas tanks, status of gas tanks.

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Location of gear does matter, and since the battery is probally the heaviest piece of movable gear you have in the boat. My guess without knowing other information, is that its your battery(ies) causing the problem.<br /><br />My battery is located in the stern corner, which makes it sit lower to one side.<br /><br />Question: (Dont take offense) have you owned a boat prior to purchasing this one?

Parrot6909

Seaman

You don't by chance have a kicker motor on there do you?

suds

Seaman Apprentice

It's a 21' I/O. Yes, that's the side the battery is located, but I would think when a boat is designed they would take into consideration the weight of all parts to balance the boat correctly. When they told us it could be the battery, our first reaction was, all boats have batteries. It's a brand new boat and water coming up and pooling in the back corner just doesn't seem right to me. The port side stern is a good 5" lower than starboard.<br /><br />No, this is our second boat. Still have the first one for sale. Thanks all.

dinsdale

Seaman

Can you give make and model please.<br /><br />You should NOT be taking on water at the dock with noone in it.<br /><br />Is water getting in to lower the hull before it takes on water through the "scupper"?<br /><br />Maybe a leaky thru hull?

suds

Seaman Apprentice

It's a 2003 Chaparral 215. The dealer said they checked it out and couldn't find any leaks at all. They seem to think something is wrong, but they don't know what to do about it.

dinsdale

Seaman

That's the Cuddy cabin right?<br /><br />Pull the battery, sponge out bilge. <br />Go to a free ramp, launch boat.<br /><br />See if there is a list without battery.<br />Let sit for 30 mins to 1 hour, see if listing either side.<br />Retrieve boat.<br />Check water level in bilge.<br /><br />Take pictures.<br /><br />Narrow down if you are taking on water first.<br />What differnece the battery actualy makes etc.<br />It's a pain but I always find it's better to find the problem yourself.<br /><br />Keep us updated, good luck!

suds

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Dinsdale. It's worth a try.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

A battery shouldn't affect the trim of a 21' boat. There is definitely something wrong with this boat. Don't give up; keep pressing the manufacturer through the dealer. Don't lose your cool with the dealer except as a last resort- you want him on your side in dealing with the manufacturer. Good luck.

suds

Seaman Apprentice

Specks, it's a Chaparral. Love the boat, hope it can be fixed. I'll let you know. Thanks all.

L Christopher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

subs<br /><br />I have a 2002 220SSI Chaparral with one battery and no list. There is something wrong. Keep pushing the dealer.

suds...I just bought essentially the same boat (except it's the bowrider 210SS model)...no listing either...love the boat, keep pushing, there's definitely something wrong there..hopefully something that can be fixed quick

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Since this is a cabin design are there optional fresh water tanks or potti holding tank? If so, how far from the keel?<br /><br />Just a thought,<br />Kelly Cook

suds

Seaman Apprentice

Just an update. At this point both Chaparral and the dealer are saying they have no idea what's wrong with the boat. I think Chaparral has engineers mulling it over. We told the service guy yesterday we want a different boat. His answer was kind of a hmmmm. They said they are waiting to hear back from the manufacturer today. I think our next move is to go to the manager of the dealership and ask for a new boat. He can talk to Chaparral and if the answer is no, then a lawyer will have to be called. By the way, the boat was left in the water at the service area for a week. No bottom paint. Needless to say it is real scummy. But that's actually a good thing, because it shows the water line on the boat. At the stern one side is a good six inches lower than the other side. I'll keep you posted. Fingers crossed.

jim phillips

Chief Petty Officer

Take some good pics of that water line and get a new boat from them i would not take any less. good luck

seabuddy7

Cadet

They put something inside the boat in the wrong place. Normally this can be fixed.<br /><br />If it can not be fixed, Chaparral will take care of you. They are a good company and have a good record. Getting a lawyer is always a choice, but with your lawyer involved both the dealer and Chap. will have to clear everything with theirs to stay up with you. <br /><br />Maybe a meeting with the dealer Gen. Mgr./owner where the two of you go over everything that they did to date, what they are doing now, and plan in the future is a faster, quicker way to get boating.<br /><br />Just a thought.

suds

Seaman Apprentice

77, i agree with you. That's why i said our next step is to see the manager. A lawyer is our last resort, but if Chaparral tells us they don't know what's wrong, can't fix it and won't replace the boat that's when we call a lawyer.<br /><br />Yeah, it's definitely not the battery. A two hundred pound guy standing on the opposite side didn't straighten out the boat.