Bow Safety Chain

cbavier

Lieutenant
Do you use a safety chain or aparatus to secure your boat beside the winch strap or winch cable?

Last edited:

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Bow Safety Chain

put a poll on here.
would be an interesting poll

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Personally I don't have anything else but the winch strap. BUT I can see the advantage. I have broken the strap while winching the boat tight, so know that they can break. So Am not sure why you are asking the question but if you are looking for more safety it is a good thing to have.

nlain

Commander

My trailer came with a chain and wench strap.

txmntman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, absolutely! There are many things that can happen and all of them are bad. Your winch could lose it's lock and the boat can be pushed back down the trailer. If you don't have your transom straps down tight, then your boat could bounce and hurt your boat, but if you don't have your BOWEYE securely tied down, your boat could come off the trailer and kill someone behind you.

In short, always add a second tie down method to the bow eye. I have used a rope for small boats, a web strap, and a chain. Different people use different things, but please, please use something. It is cheap insurance and a step up in safety.

BWR1953

Admiral

Yes, absolutely! There are many things that can happen and all of them are bad. Your winch could lose it's lock and the boat can be pushed back down the trailer. If you don't have your transom straps down tight, then your boat could bounce and hurt your boat, but if you don't have your BOWEYE securely tied down, your boat could come off the trailer and kill someone behind you.

In short, always add a second tie down method to the bow eye. I have used a rope for small boats, a web strap, and a chain. Different people use different things, but please, please use something. It is cheap insurance and a step up in safety.

Agreed!

I use a bow tie-down strap. It's cheap insurance.

ziggy

Admiral

yep, i have a winch strap + a safety chain too. i wouldn't be w/o. i have a roller trailer. going down a ramp, if it were free, it'd just roll right off. i want two ways of holding it in place..
even when i had only had a waverunner on a bunk trailer i used 2. the winch strap + a extra line tied on tight to the boat and trailer too. though that one, i'd release the extra line prior to dipping her in the water. the boat on a roller trailer, i leave both connected till it's in the drink. them roller trailers really roll easy..

bhammer

Ensign

I use the bow safety chain and I have two stern straps. I have seen two times where a driver failed to stop and hit a pole, and a car in the other case, and the boat climbed the trailer and ended up partially on the car.

In another case, I saw a bass boat stern bouncing up and down as we traveled 60 down a semi bumpy road.

Secure your load!

idrownworms

Petty Officer 1st Class

My trailer came with a chain and wench strap.

So the wench can strap you when you do something wrong?
inquiring minds want to know

but seriously folks I use the winch strap and chain on the bow and I have the stern strapped down ( well usually the ramp I use mostly is a quarter mile down the road and it's idle speed all the way anything longer and the stern straps go on )

jamie

Chiliando

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I also use a chain and stern straps. Just in case.........

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

I use a chain, but it has an "S" hook on the end, and it does not inspire a lot of confidence that it would stay on in an emergency.

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer

wench strap, safty chainand, 2 transom straps

cbavier

Lieutenant

Jamie I wouldn't leave the ramp without my stern straps. One bump and you chance loosing the boat. It's just not worth the extra two min it takes to put the stern straps on.

vintage boat junky

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, chain! I think it might be law in some places. However, I have snapped the bow eye while cranking the boat up, rendering both winch and safety chain useless. So, perhaps a second bow eye could be beneficial as well.

cbavier

Lieutenant

I've never heard of anyone snapping a Bow Eye Bolt but I suppose anything is possible.